5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What brand tools to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:27 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What brand tools to get?

Borrowing tools is highly frowned upon in most shops. As far as tools to buy to get started with, almost all of them offer lifetime warranty now. I have all kinds in my boxes from Proto, Blue point and Snap On to the cheap socket sets at wal mart.Who cares what brand tools you use to fixa customers car. I know they don't care. Establish yourself in the auto mechanic field and make sure it's what you want to do before you go to dumping thousands of dollars in a tool box.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:52 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

I have been in the Automotive repair buisness since 1998 and when i was in school I did most of my own repairs too. When I started bought basic hand tools form sears but as I worked my way in the dealership I up graded to Snap-on , Matco , Mac (they arent a waist of money FYI) They make alot of stuff sears dont make at all . As I moveed along in the buisness So did my needs for storageThe box I'm curentryl in is a snapon KRL 1022 roll cab & Krl 1201A top chest. I work in aBus Fleet sothere are no shop tools You gotta buy what ya need I got ball joint tools , full tap and die sets AC tools Axle nut socked for Dana 60 rearsFord 7.3and 6.0L tools 4.6 cam tools. sockesup to sizes to 1&1/2 in sea and38mm in metric .If you know what area for the business weather own shop , dealership , or fleetwork buy the tools you need Dont try to buy everthing on the truckit doesnt make the other tech respect u more al it dose it put u in the poor house . If your gona buy alot off the toold truck buy one or two things at a time and dotn buy anythng else till you pay them off. If you missa payment they wont repo it. They only repo boxes and tools if you avoid them andneglect to give them money for long perionds of time.
like th last guy said too make sure this is what u wanna do and make a good rep in the buiness before you buythousands of dollars of tolls and tools storage. Skill makes a good tech not the tools or the box!!!!
hope this helps a bit
Old 06-10-2007, 12:27 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I have either Snap-on, Matco or Mac. No off brand tools in my box. There def is a difference in the quality of tool manufacturers. As far as borrowing/loaning tools, If I have to borrow something more than once from someone, then I buy it. Same goes for the other guy. I have no problem lending a tool, but if the same guy continuously comes to me for tools, then it's sorry 'bout your luck. Time to spend the money. I'm not here to support someone elses career by lending tools. I bought what I have, they can do the same. If you can't afford the tools, find another career.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 AM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

That right Pro If you gotta borow it more than once go buy it is a rule I go buy But the only thing I would NEVER buy is a scan tool . Thats one thing the shop should buy . our shop just up graded from the ford ngs to the new snap-on solus which is a up dated digital version of the thumbwheel 2500
Old 06-10-2007, 01:03 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

im in ur shoes... i have all craftsman shyt, for now its fine... im already set on the idea that im getting a snap on, or matco 3/8 ratchet, because i think the sears one blows...

im close to getting a job at a shop, its a small private shop, when i start, ill just have my basic set, and as i progress there, i will buy more shyt...
Old 06-10-2007, 01:08 AM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

im in ur shoes... i have all craftsman shyt, for now its fine... im already set on the idea that im getting a snap on, or matco 3/8 ratchet, because i think the sears one blows...

im close to getting a job at a shop, its a small private shop, when i start, ill just have my basic set, and as i progress there, i will buy more shyt...
Get the snapon one I think its better I have had the same one for 6 years now never rebuilt it Ihad a matco one but it became my home ratches for my tool set I have at the house to work on things at home I had for 6months and it started sliping so I took it home where it dont see the abuse it would at work . Also a must is a long handled 3/8 drive is a must too
Old 06-10-2007, 01:11 AM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

This is what I have now to store my tools I still have a few drawers not filled but give me some time

Old 06-10-2007, 01:11 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

cool, good to know... yea i want the one w. the tilting head... and the 11 inch handle... just gotta get around to buying it
Old 06-10-2007, 09:48 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: PONY GUY

That right Pro If you gotta borow it more than once go buy it is a rule I go buy But the only thing I would NEVER buy is a scan tool . Thats one thing the shop should buy . our shop just up graded from the ford ngs to the new snap-on solus which is a up dated digital version of the thumbwheel 2500
I have my own scanner, it's outdated now. (It wasn't worth updating for where I was or would get out of spending the money) When I was in independant shops, they never had their own. Where I work now, there is no problem w/ the shop buying that type of equipment. We have a Snappy Modis, Otc scanner(whatever they call their version) and a GM Tech II.

As for my box, hopefully this one will be the last one I buy. I've had it for almost 10 years now. Every drawr is full.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:09 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

craftsman is best if not trying to spend too much, but the mac or snap-on man will let you make weekly payments and take trade in's, I have half craftsman and the other half mac or snap-on. Blue point is also nice its made by snap-on

Quick Reply: What brand tools to get?