5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Bad News :-(

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 03:54 AM
wolf39us
2nd Gear Member

Default Bad News :-(

1987 Mustang GT 5 Speed Manual T-Top 5.0
RED

I feel like the biggest idiot in the entire world.... :-(

I went to go leave from work yesterday...noticed my brakes weren't working....(I was already aware of a slight leak in the master cylinder)....so I went to go fill up my break fluid again....and noticed that it was full ...

so I was wondering what the hell was going on...I was speaking with a couple friends outside while I'm working on the car....I noticed that if I were to pump the brakes...they would come back and start working (Obviously air got into the brake system :-( ... ) but it's ok ...I decided to carefully drive home....

now to give ya'll an update...my hood is modified with hood pins....holds down the hood ya know lol

well....my dumbass forgot to put the pins back on the hood!!!!

and so I drove....

and right before I was about to get on the highway....my hood Flew open...and not only that ripped ... and I emphasize RIPPED off the hood latches and went flying backwards....

at the same time...my breaks started acting up and I could stop

thankfully I was able to shift to a stop soon enough...

I QUICKLY got out of my car and RAN towards the hood PRAYING no one would hit the hood...

sure enough....it was hit....seemed only chipped on the side...

luckily the hood was light and I was able to carry it all the way back to my car...

I put the hood back on and the pins back in place ( of course the hood latches are still not attached ) and proceeded to drive home on the highway....doing about 40 mph with my caution lights on....I was able to make it home thankfully....there are 2 inch long very small chips missing out of the hood (nowwhite spots)....and the drain for the windshield wipers broke...

the damage down to the portion of the hood where the hood latches go on....is done for...I can't re-attach that hood....unless I duck taped it down or something lol...

anyway I figure it's best to buy a new hood ...I had the Ram Air Dual Scoop Hood...

yeah I'm sad about it...but I suppose that could have gone much worse....the hood could have slammed into someone potentially behind me...and that would have been really bad...

where should I look for a replacement hood????

Old 06-10-2007, 05:30 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Bad News :-(

ORIGINAL: wolf39us
duck tape

Sorry man. I love Harwoods, myself. If you've already gotta buy a hood, might as well make it sweet. 3" cowl ftw
Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

So I take it you don't have the oe latch on the hood? [&:]That would have kept what happened from happening!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

ebay, craigslist, or you could pay a pretty penny for a BRAND new one. you should get a huge @$$ cowl like a 6" on that thing.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:07 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Nothing over 3" looks very good, IMO. Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes, but otherwise I'd stay low. Watch out for Ebay hoods, cheap ones don't always fit right, etc
Old 06-10-2007, 03:05 PM
79stunner
1st Gear Member

I have a second on the motion for the 3" cowls are sexy but try to get a mold for a california dream i havnt seen one on a fox but on the 05' in the driveway it is bada ss
Old 06-10-2007, 08:05 PM
wolf39us
2nd Gear Member

Yeah...I actually found some good stuff at Mustangs Unlimited....$400 for a non-painted ram air hood....kinda sucks....just because I didn't put the stupid pins in too....

grrr
Old 06-11-2007, 12:30 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

So I take it you don't have the oe latch on the hood? [&:]That would have kept what happened from happening!!!
And the stupid shall be punished!!!! [>:]
Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
wolf39us
2nd Gear Member

gee thanks lol
Old 06-13-2007, 01:00 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Ihate hood pins that **** happens all the time, but that really sucks what happened to you

Quick Reply: Bad News :-(