5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

I might be buying a 91'... any words of wisdom?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:59 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I might be buying a 91'... any words of wisdom?

ORIGINAL: Specilum

ORIGINAL: 1985stang

ORIGINAL: stang8689

damn thats a steal with only 60k
Yeah, but what'd he do to it to melt the ground wire. Also, he said it has been sitting for over a year.
yes its been sitting for over a year... I was thinking once I get the ground cables fixed... I could take off the fuel line... turn on the key and pump the gas out of the tank and add in new...

also...the part of the ground cable that melted was the small ground cable (probably 12 gauge wire) that goes from the battery negative right to the fender wall... then after that melted then the main cable got damaged... (from what he told me)
A few years back a friend of mine bought a 88 T-top car (fairly rare) that had been sitting in a field for 5-6 years. Luckily it was in CA, so there was no rust, just bad paint, and the interior was perfect. (lucky?) Anyway, we pulled the engine apart, and everything was full of sand (no idea how) . After we got the engine apart, we cleaned everything out, put a new set of rings in it, new springs in the heads, a small cam upgrade, and threw it all back together in a weekend. The car fired up and ran a 14.5 @ 94mph a week later. If that's not built ford tough, I don't know what is.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Specilum

ORIGINAL: Vader87

Its not critical, but you dont want to be driving around with it totally disconnected. The e-brake holds a certain tention to the rear brake drums, & In a small example if they are not kept taught they can build up friction in the rear drum,maybe come loose& catch fire. It might sound wierd but I had It happen to me. Most of the cables have aplastic or rubber coating on the outside of them, & thats what catches fire. I dont know how exactly it happened to me, but this iswhat Ihave been told by Ford Mechanics. The car It happened to me on was an 86 gt t-top car.
ok that makes sense to me... but does the e-brake have anything to do with the grounding system??? I thought you said that before..
Old 06-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Specilum

I found a dyno sheet in the car... it said 229 rwhp and i think 280 or 290 tq...

does that sound about right?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:01 AM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

Most everybody that has owned a fox body car esp. Stangs knows they have weak electrical systems, when it comes to grounds. Dont really know why. Its been my experience with the many fox stangs that I have owned in the past; the 79-93 model years, particularly 82,86,87,88,91 I replaced the primary, & both side cables because I got current feed back . Wether it was broke, unhooked or grounding out back where they mounted through the inside drum housing I dont know. I had lights flicker or dim whiledrivingat night on some of the cars I owned(previously mentioned )& I checked out all the normal stuff fuses, alt, voltage reg., ground & positve conections, stereo & all other accessories.OH YA Keyword is(night). Nothing was wrong. For some reason most of the cars I bought the e-brake didnt work, & quite frankly didnt care if they did. Anyways I replaced the parts, & thatsolved my problem, to this day no reoccurences.Like I said it sounds weird but it happened to me 5 times over.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Specilum

Thanks... once i get it running i will make that a priority... is it a hard job to fix the e-brake?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Specilum

here are some pics...I got her home last night... took 15 minutes to change the ground cable and she started right up... not bad for 1500 huh??? haha

Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

Nice looking ride for $1500.00. It won't take long to change out the brake cables. A couple hours maybe. What size of tire are you running? Looks like the car has been lowered, do you know or is it just the tire size?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Specilum

its been lowered...
Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 AM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

Do ya know what brand of springs were used & how much the drop was on them? still would like to know what size of tires you're running? I have the argent pony wheels with 245-45R16, & like the way the tires on your car fill the wheel well.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:46 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

1500 bux.. You have got to be $hitting me.. Great find!

Quick Reply: I might be buying a 91'... any words of wisdom?