5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Man I sure could use some advice here...trade possibly...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default Man I sure could use some advice here...trade possibly...

Ok, had a guy come by today with an 86 GT that wanted to trade for my 87 351. It was a mostly stock motor. Only thing the car had done to it was a rollcage (from previous owner he said) and a cowl hood. Car looked good and ran strong. I've had quite a few issues with mine. Basically it hasn't made more than a 10 minute trip since I bought it. I rewired the car, installed a new flywheel and all new mounts, and did some other odd and end work. The motor runs strong in it, but has a "few" issues with it still. Also needs the carb rebuilt BAD. Not to mention that cosmetically, it looks like complete ***. Dents everywhere, paint peeling, seats, carpet, and door panels stained up, dashpad busted, and half the stock gauges don't work with the carbureted setup thats in it now. I also can't get the clutch adjusted right to save my life. My adjustable cable is rubbing the steering shaft, so it's got a spot dug into it and I think the cable is stretching now from the cuts from the steering shaft. And I can't figure out a way to move it over and get it off the shaft. Either hits the shaft or the header. And lastly, it needs a new oilpan. The dipstick is jbwelded in the oil pan and it leaks a little around that.

But it's strong and fun to play with. And it's a lot more powerful than his stock 5.0. Found out today that my power windows, mirrors, and wipers all work fine. I was told when I got it none of that worked, and the switches were unplugged, so I never worried about it much. So, the plus side, everything on the car works except for the heat and A/C, because none of that's even in the car.

So, after the novel above, here is my dilemma. We both agreed to think on it until Thursday. I love the 4eyed cars a lot. But I've got a monster here, in a good way and a bad way. Bodywork isn't a big concern, as my father in law does that. But mechanically it's like nothing will stay together.

Hopefully I can get it worked out, but I'm interested in his as well. What would be the more viable option? I've got until Thursday to decide, but I have no idea what I want to do.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:32 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Man I sure could use some advice here...trade possibly...

since your car look like, and runs like ****.... i'd get rid of t and buy something that you cant screw up
Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 PM
bds95stang
2nd Gear Member

im with adder on this...mechanically it could prolly be fixed fairly easily but even if you get it to run decent it will still look like ****
Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

once again agree with adder, for some reason he's always right, well almost
Old 07-02-2007, 12:52 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

trust the two guys above 7 years ago I spent 250.00 on a 85 5.0 mustang It looked like shi@##$ smelled like a....... and didn't even run blown motor and rear. And still for some odd reason at the time I thought I was getting a deal!!! My car is now completelt restored now but not after adding a few more zero's to that 250.00. If I were you knowing what I know now buy someone elses loss is your gain!!! that's what I'm going to do for my next stang!!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:52 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

I'm leaning in that direction right now. But my main holdup is that I've got a built 351W sitting under the hood. He's got a stock non mass air 302 under the hood of his. Not to mention, he has the stock rear end and stock tranny, and I've got 3.73 gears mated to a Tremec WC T-5. The body is dinged up all over, but my father in law owns a body shop, so getting it to look right isn't a huge deal. BUT....on the flip side, the 86 is more streetable right now than my 87. His is a 10 footer. Paint is a cheap repaint with some runs on one door, but it has no peels and does shine and I didn't notice too much in the way of dents. So I dunno what to do yet. But I'm definately looking for opinions. I've got the hardest of mine done now as far as I know.

Rewired the entire engine bay so that everything works correctly and installed the correct flywheel. Still need a ps motor mount and eventually that stock clutch is gonna shatter so eventually the tranny is gonna have to come back out of the car.

So I'm up in the air. His is gonna need a dash pad. It has some kinda carpet stuff on the dash right now, so that looks like ***.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:13 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

If you havent already done the deal, I would keep your car. Its your project and you have most of the big buck items done. So what if it looks like ***, you can fix that, your father in law is in the business. If you get the other car, first thing you will do is convert to mass air, and then what, dump more money into that engine to get what you have now? I wouldnt do it. Finish yours. That is what the other guy is going to do.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:54 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Well, the other guy is wanting to strip it down for a track car. I'm wanting a DD. Mine has been hit in the front at some point hard enough for the motor to hit the firewall and bend it slightly. Like I said it does need a lot of bodywork whereas his needs none. His is more of a street car, mine is more suited for a track right now. I won't drive it the 10 miles to work right now because I'm not sure if it'll hold together or something else screw up.

But I dunno. His could be a DD for me to work on when I can. Mine basically just sits here until I can get it worked on enough to be trustworthy as a DD. Choices choices...lol
Old 07-03-2007, 12:00 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Can you post some pics, it would make this easier, how is the interior on both cars, and is there any rust on either, especially on bottom of doors and hatch
Old 07-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

Pics would definitely help! Other than money & time do you really like your car is the real question? Because if you really like your own car dont do it, youll regret getting rid of it later. Also you know your car. You dont know his. It could be a trap waiting to happen!

Quick Reply: Man I sure could use some advice here...trade possibly...