5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Looking at some Drag radials

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Looking at some Drag radials

ORIGINAL: onetrickpony

I would go with the Nittos or M/T's. When I was at the track I was talking to the track manager and he said that BF'S were the worst tire on the planet. So, I talked to a few other guys that were at the track and they all said the same thing. I'm ordering a set of M/T's tomorrow myself.
Yea cause I did'nt pull 1.5 60 foots on a BFG dr. Your info is the complete opposite of what 90% of the people who have owned the tires feel. Samseed, the Nitto will last the longest (10-15k miles) however, they will only hook slightly better than a regular tire, with your power level. The BFG's will last about 8-10k (depending how hard you are on them and how much track time they see), but will hook WAY better than a Nitto. I know your in Maine ( I grew up in Carrabasett Valley), so I know you only drive the Stang during the summers, the BFG's should last at least one maybe two summers. Nittos are fine on stockish cars, but once you start making real HP you need a better tire, the M/T's would be the BEST tire but they wear pretty fast.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I know the Nittos arent the best DR but i still think they are the best for daily driving. They last the longest and do well in the rain and still provide decent grip. Like ive said 100 times they held the power of a KB '96 Cobra with a 4.30 gear just fine through first gear. I've had mine for a couple years and after a few thousand miles they still look very good, and from what ive read is about all the miles you get out of the other DRs...

and for what it's worth ive also talked to a guy that had no luck with the BFGs, guess sometimes they just dont work for you. On the same note though, the DR that provides the best 60' may not be the best daily driving tire.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:04 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Along hte same lines... how big can I go (as far as tire size) without having problems using my stock 16" rims? That was my other concern and that is what may greatly limit my options.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:25 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

MT ET Streets 26*8.5*16 255/50 16 26*10.5*16
Nitto 555R’s Extreme DR 245/50 16
BFG G-Force Drag Radial 255/50 16
there you go samseed i would going to do the same thing.

from what i have heard like JD said as far as hooking it goes MT, BFG, and the the nitto's.

the tire lasting Nitto, BFG, and then MT
Old 07-24-2007, 10:41 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Awesome. Thanx Justin!

I want to take the middle ground. I want something that may last a little longer, but I also want something that will hook. I have sprint suspension and summot lower cotnrol arms so that should help a little. I[ve only got kuhmo tires on her now and it isn't too bad. But I can't launch very hard with them or I will spin a little. I figure some new shoes should fix this issue once and for all.

That is, until my dry kit gets put in and I'm spraying off the line instead of spreaying from 2nd gear on like I do now, lol.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:52 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Awesome. Thanx Justin!

I want to take the middle ground. I want something that may last a little longer, but I also want something that will hook. I have sprint suspension and summot lower cotnrol arms so that should help a little. I[ve only got kuhmo tires on her now and it isn't too bad. But I can't launch very hard with them or I will spin a little. I figure some new shoes should fix this issue once and for all.

That is, until my dry kit gets put in and I'm spraying off the line instead of spreaying from 2nd gear on like I do now, lol.
no problem....

just remember to heat them up good so they get sticky
Old 07-24-2007, 06:23 PM
jhall01
2nd Gear Member

be careful when ur heating ur tires up. u heat them up too much and then they will glaze over. i bjust bought the M/T 255/ 50/ 16. havent got to race with them yet but i will get to do that this coming friday. ive heard alot of good things about the M/T and the BF i was told not to waste my money on the NITTOS. Ill have video of my car this friday so hopefully i can get a clip of it on here n let u see for your self how good the M/T DRs hook up.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jhall01

be careful when ur heating ur tires up. u heat them up too much and then they will glaze over. i bjust bought the M/T 255/ 50/ 16. havent got to race with them yet but i will get to do that this coming friday. ive heard alot of good things about the M/T and the BF i was told not to waste my money on the NITTOS. Ill have video of my car this friday so hopefully i can get a clip of it on here n let u see for your self how good the M/T DRs hook up.
I'd love to get MT's, but I'd hate having to get a new set every summer. I wnted something that would give me 10k miles but would give some decent traction.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:07 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

I'm ordering some M/T Drag Radials tomorrow for my 5.0... 275/50/15 for my Weld Draglites... Anybody know the cheapest place to purchase them? I was looking at Jegs or summit, but I would love a cheaper price.

-Jeff
I think jegs comes out to $3 cheaper then summit. Unless you know a local distributer that can give you deal your not going to find them cheaper.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:27 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

i say go with the M/T's. 255 would be the biggest for 16's.
You can get them for 300 and i think they were one of my best buys to date.
Ive driven with the nittos on and they just dont hook like the M/T's.
You wont be disappointed, i promise!

Quick Reply: Looking at some Drag radials