5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Price to paint hood on fox body

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default Price to paint hood on fox body

I went to a body shop today to get an estimate on getting my new hood painted. They quoted me $850 just to lay paint on the hood and 1500 to paint the hood and blend it in with the fenders and bumper. I politely told them to go **** them selves. Anyone have any idea what I should expect to pay. I really don't want to spend any more then $400 or $500 just to paint the hood.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:18 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Price to paint hood on fox body

Jesus zach, where was that. I paid 500.00 when I had my hood and wing painted 4 years ago.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:21 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Good sh8t! I'd spray it for you for a case of beers! Where you at?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

my husky air compressor at my house came with a spray gun
Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

It was auto body dimensions in fredrick. Its the same place that painted my dads car. The painted my dads hood, blended it with the fenders, painted his decklid, spoiler, put c stripes on the side and install hood struts 2 years ago for $900. When I brought that up there they looked at me like I was lying. I'll never recommend anyone to them. They do good work but those prices.....
Old 08-02-2007, 08:24 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: creekrat

Good sh8t! I'd spray it for you for a case of beers! Where you at?
I'm in carrol county, md. About 40 minutes out of hanover, pa.

Mat I have the same husky air compressor. I may give that gun a try if I can find the right paint color.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Importssuk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

I went to a body shop today to get an estimate on getting my new hood painted. They quoted me $850 just to lay paint on the hood and 1500 to paint the hood and blend it in with the fenders and bumper. I politely told them to go **** them selves. Anyone have any idea what I should expect to pay. I really don't want to spend any more then $400 or $500 just to paint the hood.
yeah thats really high. for 1500$ you should be able to get the whole car resprayed (the same color). if you're going to have a hood put on i would highly recommend to getthe fenders blended also. it is very dificult to panel match the original color of the car. i would guesstimate $600for a job like this. i used to be in the auotbody painting cars, but its been a while. if you want to save a couple $$$ you can prep the hood and fenders yourself. just use some 400 grit sandpaper and a 3m sanding block for the hood, and a grey or red 3m scothbrite pad for the fenders. there is a scuffing compound that 3m makes to work in conjunction with the scotchbrite pads, but i dont remeber the name off hand (but i HIGHLY recommend using). check w/ a autobody supply store. use lots of water when sanding and change the paper frequently to get the best results. check your progress with a squee-gee to make sure that there are no shiny spots left while sanding. after you are satisfied with the prep job, wash the car thoroughly. take your car to a few shops. you'll be surprised at the fluxuaton of the estimates. hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

$850 Thats insane..Those guys are out of there tree...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Several collision shops around my area quoted me $300, which is what i ended up paying.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:35 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I can get a decent job done for $250 by a guy that does all the work himself.

I had my front bumper repainted by this guy for $250 and he repaired my Mustang lettering that was messed up along with a big chunk out of the bumper from the previous owner. There is one paint bubble, but for $250 i'm not complaining...

-Jeff

Quick Reply: Price to paint hood on fox body