5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Wax???

Old 08-10-2007, 06:06 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Wax???

Eagle Nano works good too
Old 08-10-2007, 03:51 PM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

Turttle wax platinum every two to three weeks, Ice in between as a detail only product and swirl remover every two months..the paint is absolutely positively pristine after 4 yrs...there are no swirls, there is only deep rich red. Contstant care is more important than product IMO...keep the dirt way from the paint with a good wax layer.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:32 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

ORIGINAL: nothsa

Just so you guys no Turtle Wax "Ice" is not a wax, it is a polish. It is meant to be used in between waxes, not in place of a wax!

-Jeff
Well it works pretty good and water beads up on it. My paint isn't worth getting paste out. 30 minutes with the turtle wax ice and my car looks a lot better.
I was just letting you know, i've never used the product but I do have a full bottle of it. Mother's claybar is my favorite and I use the free wax that comes with that kit (really good stuff).

-Jeff
Old 08-11-2007, 08:11 PM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

I used to be a detailer for toyota and am pretty **** about the appearance of my cars, just ask vig.

If I’m all out detailing my car its a whole day event for me.
Usually for exterior ill start with scrubbing out the tire wells and cleaning the wheels and all the chrome/stainless. For things like chrome/aluminum/steel that is not coated like exhaust tips, and polished metal I like "EagleOne Never Dull" works great for restoring metal. For metals like aluminum wheels you should never use anything petroleum based because they usually have a coating paint or plastic based. For wheels and plastics I like Mothers Mag/Chrome Cleaner. For the tires NEVER EVER use anything bleach based as it can corrode aluminum and some types of steel, and will destroy paint and coats, otherwise just anything, I’m not picky about wheel and tire cleaner, I usually just use cheap car wash and a good brush and a lot of scrubbing and wiping.

For the actual wash of the car "Maguire’s Gold" Wash is the best car wash I’ve found out there... Its awesome for a quick wash, leaves the car looking waxed. NEVER brush your car if you love your baby, trust me I’ve seen what it does over time. I only use Microsoft mittens on my car for washing(the washing stage is where most scratching occurs). 2-3 soaps and rinses, make sure to get under the side skirts and bumpers and in the little crevasse.

Now for the work; POLISHING. If your going at it full till I like to start with original Turtle Wax as it is still the longest lasting and most reliable wax out there, there is more work but you get a nice triceps and chest workout from it. ONLY USE MICROFIBER OR APLICATOR PADS for waxing, if i see you use terrycloth or anything else you will be slapped. Once you give it a coat of Turtle Wax you can use some Light Turtle Wax Polishing Compound to go at the scratches but be gentle, and make sure you buff the hell out of the area with regular wax afterwards.

Step 2: Clay Bar
It takes a while but worth it and I’m sure you love your car as much as I love mine, treat your baby good. Mothers Clay Bar Set is the best I’ve found. There are directions in the box.

Step 3: Finishing
Go back over the car with a Light cabana oil based wax Like Mothers or Maguire’s. I start with a base of turtle wax because it is much longer lasting and resilient wax, as where the cabana oil waxes leave a better shine and don’t last as long. Take your time waxing and if you follow these steps you will have a show worthy finish on your car. Plus when done right a good waxing last months. You only have to re-apply light cabana wax for the following year or so before you need to do it again.

If anyone wants any tips on detailing ask, I guarantee I have or can get you a answer. I specialize in those lovely yellowed headlights.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 PM
1fastzook
4th Gear Member

zymol
Old 08-11-2007, 09:48 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

BlackDep, i've heard claybar takes wax off, why would you wax it before the clay bar? Never heard of that...
Old 08-11-2007, 10:20 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

I was a detailer at a harley davidson dealer. We used some EXSPENSIVE stuff there, so probably not too good unless your preparing a show car.

This is how I got it done.

Wash: Dawn dish soap.

For the detailing process:
For Heavy scratches and swirls- 3M Medium Rubbing compound. All products aside from wax I applied with the 3M applicator pads on a drill. After I went over with the rubbing compound, being sure not to stay in one area too long, then I moved to the finer stuff.
lighter swirls, or for after the medium compound- 3M Finesse It Final finish. This is my favorite product I used. I'd go at it with a fresh applicator pad on the drill. This stuff got rid of every last swirl there was and gave it an amazing shine.
Wax- I used The s100 carnuaba wax, White container with a blue lid.

Now mind you the finale finish product was 28$ for a fairly small bottle.

Best rule of thumb though is to use the least abrasive product you can to get the job done. If you're gonna clay bar, wash the car, then get out the clay bar. Like I said, use the least abrasive you can get away with. Clay bar the surface, keeping it well lubed. Always feel with your hand for specs still in the paint. If it wont come out, it's posible it's in your clear coat which would need wet sanded. After ya clay bar, wash the car again. Then decide whether you wanna buff out the swirls and what not.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:21 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

BlackDep, i've heard claybar takes wax off, why would you wax it before the clay bar? Never heard of that...
Agreed, and claybars have abrasives in them, so you are gonna want to remove swirls after the clay bar.