5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Paint job cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:08 PM
hawwk11
3rd Gear Member

Default Paint job cost

How much should a 3 stage paint job cost about? one solid color. what do some of you guys think about good paint job and how much to spend about? and types
Old 08-10-2007, 01:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Paint job cost

I paid 3500.00 but I also had a few extras done and a special pearlesant paint applied that glistens highly in the sun
Old 08-10-2007, 01:21 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

dupont or ppg. im going to repaint a hood/spoiler and if i like it enough my whole vert this winter
Old 08-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Speedy911
2nd Gear Member

Lets say....alot. 2k+
Old 08-10-2007, 01:51 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

its alot cheaper if you do some prep work yourself
types? acryllic laquer enamel acryllic enamel polyurethane
polyurethane is good for primer, and i love acryllic-enamel because its the most painter friendly.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:53 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jakeachy

polyurethane is good for primer, and i love acryllic-enamel because its the most painter friendly.
i am going to school for autobody in the fall and i wouldn't touch it if someone else did the prep work. you couldn't gurantee how it would turn out or how well they actually did it
Old 08-10-2007, 02:05 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

ORIGINAL: jakeachy

i am going to school for autobody in the fall and i wouldn't touch it if someone else did the prep work. you couldn't gurantee how it would turn out or how well they actually did it
thats why you spray an extra prime coat and have the paints wet sand the top layer and then apply paint. if you do prep work paint must be applied within the specified hours on the primer can. you cant let primer sit. i would paint it if someone preped it, but i'd also make them sign a waiver, i'm not gettin sued whether they fugged up or if i fugged up.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:08 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

thats why you spray an extra prime coat and have the paints wet sand the top layer and then apply paint. if you do prep work paint must be applied within the specified hours on the primer can. you cant let primer sit. i would paint it if someone preped it, but i'd also make them sign a waiver, i'm not gettin sued whether they fugged up or if i fugged up.
here again, bolded as wrong or not agood idea.
primer is good for a month of two.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:47 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Again, if you're inexperienced, stick with solid colors, and leave the metallics and pearls for the more experienced. Solid colors are more forgiving, both during the spray process and afterwards when it comes time to sand and buff. Plus, they're generally cheaper.

The primer flashes in 5-8 minutes between coats and can be topcoated in one hour. If you are going to let the primer sit for more than one hour and you are adding extra coats of primer, you will have to sand the primer with 600-grit paper. The shortcut is to not let it dry for more than one hour between primer coats. You don't have to sand before the topcoat is applied, it will just add scratch marks to the finish. (you may be right on the primer but i would never let mine sit for more than couple days.)

Supplies

Description
Price

3/4-inch masking tape
$1.75

3M 320-grit wet or dry sandpaper, 100 pack

Acetone

DuPont V-4904S primer/filler, 1 gal.

DuPont V-4975S activator, 1 qt.

Nason basecoat, 1/2 gal.

Nason activator, 1 qt.

DuPont HC2300S clear, 1 gal.

DuPont HC2305S activator, 1 qt.

Inline air filter

Overspray sheeting

Respirator

Sharpe air regulator

Evercoat brushable seam sealer, 1 qt.

SEM self-etching primer, 1 can

Quart pails, 6

Total:
$645.40

you can look up DIY painting all around and they'll pretty much all say the same thing. so right now i'm pretty confident on what i've been taught in school and what i've done. you show me something different thats not proffesional grade because, we're not pros at painting our cars.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...int/index.html
Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Dave93VertGt
2nd Gear Member

$700 for 2 stage full works in south texas.

the guy fixed dings, did all sanding/primering, base red coat a few times over, and a few clear coats. let me also mention that this price included other services:shaved/deleted my antenna &luggage rack and all emblems, and inserted a cobra grill. he also repainted my black trim on the outside of the convertible.

Quick Reply: Paint job cost