5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

OK guys...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 AM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: OK guys...

ORIGINAL: mattdel

No jokes here, I want this to be a serious thread. I have a dilemma.

During the past couple days I've had the opportunity to look back on my life, what I've done, and what I've accomplished, and I realized that really, something is amiss. I've done ok as far as a job goes, I make enough money to live on at my age.

But honestly, I'm terrible with money. I have no sense of budgeting whatsoever...

I've been given the option to pick-up my car tomorrow.
Honestly, I don't know if I want it back.
Financially, it really isn't a good choice for me right now. It takes alot of gas to keep that thing running, and I don't have the time to figure it out.
Plus the fact of where I live, it's not a good choice for winter.

Do i take my car back, and pay my ex monthly for it? Or should I get rid of the "moneypit" and get something a bit more sensible and financially "pleasing", just for a year or two?

Honestly, i'm 50/50. I need to better myself as far as this budgeting aspect goes, and having the #1 car that i desire isn't good for that plan.
But on the other hand, its a mustang! you cant willingly give up a pretty nice fox vert with 88k on it.

Hey brother...sorry to hear about the situation....Here is my .02...

Keep it if you can swing it, because I never got over selling my Notch when I was about 24...but 12 years later I got back into the deal and bought the GT...so you can always come back.....

Good luck..anytime you are going through withdrawals if you sell it..take a ride out east and I will take you for a blast
Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 AM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

The one I got was a detectives car. It had 115,000 miles, but the motor was in great shape. Yeah, a state troopers or sheriffs car will be wrecked, but an undercover or detectives car is not bad at all. I got mine for $2000. You can tell which is which by the amount of holes on the roof and trunk and also by the equipment that was installed inside.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:33 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeVa

The one I got was a detectives car. It had 115,000 miles, but the motor was in great shape. Yeah, a state troopers or sheriffs car will be wrecked, but an undercover or detectives car is not bad at all. I got mine for $2000. You can tell which is which by the amount of holes on the roof and trunk and also by the equipment that was installed inside.
Well I can tell which is which because I AM a Detective, lol. And before that I was a patrol officer. So I've driven dozens upon dozens of these things, both marked and unmarked. They're great, as long as I'm not the one footing the repair bill. These things spend a LOT of time in the shop.

Most Detective cars are simply old patrol cars that were retired off the front line. Here's an example. In 2007 (this year) we are getting new cars, like we do every year in the summer. The current "front line" AKA "main" cars will be replaced by the new cars. The old front line cars, which have been beaten for a year, become reserve cars that get used on a semi-regular basis depending on how many officers are working that shift. The old "reserve" cars then become Animal Control Officer, School Resource Officer, or Detective cars. And the old Detective cars go to either Public Works )for health inspectors, etc) or they go to auction. So by the time a Detective car is retired, it typically has 1 really hard year and two fairly rough years under it's belt.

That's not to say that all places do it that way and that's not to say that smaller departments may not do it differently. Hell you can even get that gem in the rough and pick out a great car that just happened to escape and major malfunctions or accidents. But it's not a gamble I'd want to take. if given the choice between that for $4,000 (like the one he was looking at) or his Mustang for $5,000, that's an easy decision.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

this right there is what i do
ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

honestly write down you budget on a piece of paper, then cross out everything thats not needed.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

matt if your in the jam you say are here is what i would do.

DO NOT GET THE MUSTANG. seriously you can always get another and probably get another one thatsnicer later on.

get something thats easy on gas and cheaper on insurance. get a cavalier or neon. cheap on insurance on awesome on gas. it will save you money in two areas and thats extra money. cancel your cable and internet for a little bit. you can always get them back later on just keep the necessities
Old 08-14-2007, 12:06 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

matt if your in the jam you say are here is what i would do.

DO NOT GET THE MUSTANG. seriously you can always get another and probably get another one thatsnicer later on.

get something thats easy on gas and cheaper on insurance. get a cavalier or neon. cheap on insurance on awesome on gas. it will save you money in two areas and thats extra money. cancel your cable and internet for a little bit. you can always get them back later on just keep the necessities
i did that when i first moved out. i was strappin for cash so i canceled those, magazine subscriptions and quit eating out. saved me almost 300-400 monthly. i agree with jasper
Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Dave93VertGt
2nd Gear Member

forget the car, forget the gas, forget the worries. get a sport motor cycle. you win some, you lose some in life. in my eyes, going fast is a luxury, not a nessecity. i'd be happy with a young strong beautiful male horse as my freind and transportation. fuel is free because he eats hay and drinks water. plus he is alive and can quickly turn left or right or turn around and go up hills and jump over stuff.
then again u can hook up with a rich woman, not that thats what i did or anything, lol.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

yeah, speaking from experience, dont get a cop car..... i bought it for $800 and now I am approaching $10k invested into making it a running machine again. I have had to replace EVERYTHING.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:41 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

well, after taking all of last night and half of today to think, i've made my decision.
with my fathers help, i got a 99 explorer 4door, 72k on it. 4.0, 4wd, green. its in pretty nice shape, only 1 owner.
everything should be finalized tomorrow mid-day.
in terms of my immediate financial future, this was the correct choice. the mustang was starting to break down in terms of stability, my constant abuse of it has weakened certain aspects of it, as i'm sure you can all attest to.
i'm proud to say that i had the opportunity to drive that stang for 9 months, but in reality it wasn't a smart choice. i now know this.
maybe in a year or two, when i get myself out of this 100foot hole that i dug for myself, i'll look into a project car.
i bought the mustang to make it a beast, but the reality was that it was a DD, and mods + DD don't add up.
i'm heartbroken about the mustang, but i have to think of my future, and that car simply doesn't fit in right now.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:03 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

I know its a little late for my 0.02, so I won't even bother. I just want to say that you seem to be headed in the right direction! Keep your chin up bra! I hope your still gonna stay here, because you have given many people good advice and info, including myself, and it would be a shame to loose a "member of the family" that can help alot of people out!

Quick Reply: OK guys...