5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

astroperformance

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:01 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default astroperformance

well the "dont buy from jegs" thread reminded me i wanted to post this... so here ya go...

back in the begining of january i bought a stock, rebuilt, t5 from astroperformance. and i can honestly say that this company will not get another dime(hah... dime.. dimebag... ok not funny, lol) from me ever again.

for the break in period i did everything i should have, fully followed the books on this one, and it was broken in right... for a few months the trans was great... held up fine, shifted wonderfully, never had syncro problems... no issues

and then one morning after a night at the track, out of no where it blew 2nd gear... compleetly blew it... no more 2nd gear for me... ok this sucks sure... i blamed the amount of power i was putting thru the trans for it breaking(stock motor+ weak 100 shot), it went on like this for a few weeks... i delt w. it, its whatever... then out of nowhere the 4th gear syncro said **** you, it still goes into 4th, but grinds like a bitch... this wasnt caused by driver error. and then out of nowhere yesterday, 3rd did the same thing(i have a good feeling i know what came apart/broke in the syncro btw...) o and on top of it, the trans will not go into 5th gear, i suspect the linkage for 5th to be bent...

this is just a heads up for anyone looking to buy from them... a few other members here have bought from them, but as far as i know they have stronger transmissions from them, not a stocker...

so i took it upon myself and personally rebuilt my spare t5, which will soon be going in the car in place of the astro p o s.

i thought about calling/emailing the company, but whats the point... they wont do **** for me, except tell me its my fault, which given all circumstances i believe it is not...

well yea... just a heads up
Old 08-16-2007, 06:10 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: astroperformance

When will you be up and running? It may not do anygood to call but you neverknow. Me, i would have to call. I'm not sure what you paid for it but i bet it wasnt cheap. I would be civil at first. You would probably be talking to a salesman, if that did not work, keep your cool and demand a manager, if still no good then i am raising hell and telling them how ****ty their product is and warn them you will be bashing them on forums (like you are now) I dont blame you man i would be pissed too but i would have to call them. Good luck with the rebuild, i would love to have the experience, i have only dropped and replaced, never rebuilt.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:23 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

If nothing else, I would call and bitch them out just soyou could get some frustration out, it will help you out mentally at least.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:20 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

That sucks, you probably only had 260-270hp at the wheels with a shot which shouldn't just destroy 2nd gear like that. Sounds like a real quality issue.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ok your bitching at astro becuase a STOCK, REBUILT T5 blew on you? pretty sure that would of happened on any STOCK T5

hell I've seen STOCK 5.0s break STOCK T5s

Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Yea, Stock T5's are pieces of ****. I haveone sitting in my garage and the one in my car cannot take to much more abuse. I will run it until it breaks. I would call them just to see what they would say. But spraying your car with a stock T5 is not going to last to long. I bought my 93 brand new and I went through 4 trannys and Ford was nice enough to tell me that they were voiding my warranty and sent my tranny home in my trunk. Some foucking **** sucker told them I was running spray and it was a big fight for about a month. They finally fixed it but that was it, no more tranny work for my car they volided any warranty work on my car. The only proof they had were the bottle bracket holes.

Next one for me is a TKO.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

the new trans should be in on sunday.

and yea im bitching because a stock, freshly rebuilt trans took a **** on me... realize, my original, from the factory, stock trans... saw just as much abuse, if not worse, and yea its syncros went, but they were goin before i got the car... something like a syncro going or similar, i wouldnt blame the company as much, but a gear blowing out... i blame them, sorry, but i do... thats a matter of them not replacing a most likly already hurt/worn out gear/countershaft... they should have caught that when rebuilding, or atleast done something about it, before allowing me to pay 1000 for a trans(200 core charge, i never sent in... oops) that broke 8 months later...

yea stock stangs break stock t5s but 9 out of 10 times thats driver error, and a syncro issue, not a blown gear... if it is a blown gear, its mostly always 3rd... again... caused by driver error, missed shifts, etc..

all i know is i am not buying from astro again, ill deal with ddperformance from now on... i bought my rebuild kit from them and i cant bitch at all....as far as customer service

Old 08-17-2007, 05:00 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

the new trans should be in on sunday.

and yea im bitching because a stock, freshly rebuilt trans took a **** on me... realize, my original, from the factory, stock trans... saw just as much abuse, if not worse, and yea its syncros went, but they were goin before i got the car... something like a syncro going or similar, i wouldnt blame the company as much, but a gear blowing out... i blame them, sorry, but i do... thats a matter of them not replacing a most likly already hurt/worn out gear/countershaft... they should have caught that when rebuilding, or atleast done something about it, before allowing me to pay 1000 for a trans(200 core charge, i never sent in... oops) that broke 8 months later...

yea stock stangs break stock t5s but 9 out of 10 times thats driver error, and a syncro issue, not a blown gear... if it is a blown gear, its mostly always 3rd... again... caused by driver error, missed shifts, etc..

all i know is i am not buying from astro again, ill deal with ddperformance from now on... i bought my rebuild kit from them and i cant bitch at all....as far as customer service

you were stretching your luck doing what you do with a stock T5, now you know why ANYTHING rebuilt isnt as good as new
Old 08-17-2007, 07:56 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Some t-5s can handle abuse. My buddy takes his car to track a few times a year with a 175 shot. Best time was 11.01, tranny is still going strong. His case is rare though.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I almost bought one from them but they never answered the phone or emails. I was like if they aren't trying to talk then they will probably hassle me if there a problem. I went with a new T-5Z

Quick Reply: astroperformance