5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

best performance parts to first buy? low budget

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: best performance parts to first buy? low budget

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Same thing. Skift kit, shift adjuster, shift improver. They usualyl come in different selectable "stages" and you decide which stage you want when you install it. Stage 1 is usualyl used for towing packages. 2 and 3 are more aggressive. They'll basically make it shift faster and firmer. I did the gears, shift kit, and tranny cooler at the same time. Felt GREAT!

BTW, the TT is coming along nicely! What's the ETA?
actually its different. the thing i was trying to describe allows you to change your shift points and firmness yourself. dont get me wrong, anything is better then stock but i still prefer the full manual valve body.

im hoping to fire up the twin turbo motor in the next two weeks. i have some work to do to the hot side piping. some stuff doesnt line up perfect and some bolts dont fit right. minor sh*t but a couple days work. then i have to get my buddy to bring the engine hoist over and after it goes in i have to wire it all up. i put my msd box in the hatch next to the battery so i still need to wire that up. boost controller is in but not wired. i need about a half inch spacer for the upper intake cause the tc cable wont clear the valve cover. i plan to just use a nitrous plate as my spacer shooting for about 750fwhp but id be happy with 700.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

How is Eaton's setup coming along? Haven't seen him in a LONG time.

If I had the time and the money, I'd probably try out a turbo setup just for the hell of it. It would give me something to do. But I'd probably do it on a different block. Maybe I should put that spare block in my basement to good use and see if I can put together a junker turbo kit.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:02 PM
blahman20
2nd Gear Member

Gears aren't REALLY cheap...especially with the install you're looking at around $500-$600, and that's with cheap gears. My local machine shop guy won't put on the gears they sell on the internet for like 179.99 because he said they're like butter, and will only put on the ones he can order, which are $303.99...
Old 08-24-2007, 02:50 PM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

a cold air intake is a waste of money. take out the air silencer and put in a k&n filter in the stock box. then buy gears!
He is right about the CAI. If you must have something, A big k&n cone filter will do the trick. Long tube,equals,unequals? Manual: 3:73, Auto: 4.10
A CAI would do better than a cone filter (Sucks the hot air from engine).... use to have that deleted air silencer put a K&N and it was ok.. i put a fenderwall cold air intake and i felt better and also droped .2 tenths.... im not BSing either
Old 08-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blahman20

Gears aren't REALLY cheap...especially with the install you're looking at around $500-$600, and that's with cheap gears. My local machine shop guy won't put on the gears they sell on the internet for like 179.99 because he said they're like butter, and will only put on the ones he can order, which are $303.99...
You can get FRPP gears for alot cheaper and they are plenty good.
Save your money for gears, then get subframe connectors. Or slap a N20 kit on it..
Old 08-24-2007, 03:30 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blahman20

Sounds like bull**** to me. What is this magical uber-secret brand that he uses that costs so much money? He won't install onmes that people bring in to him? Chances are, that is because then he will only get paid for labor and won't get to markup the price of the parts. I have never seen anyone run into problem with Ford Racing gears. Is this guy trying to say that ford racing gears are garbage?

The only time I have ever seen guys say that they will only put on parts they order is when tehy have something to gain from doing that. Like when they order you a fuel pump for $350 and it turns out that it's the same damned thing you can get for much cheaper.

Ok they're "butter" and break. So what does he care? It's not his car. Warn the consumer of that, then if the person still wants them installed, so be it. But I suppose there's a slight chance that he realyl doesn't want to send out a car with bad gears. In that case, he should say what gears he plans on using so the person can check them out. What if I got the same exact gears that he was going to use but I got them from $100 cheaper? What's his excuse then?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:32 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

BTW I got my ford racing gears online for $175. Then had them installed for another $175. That's a total of $350 spent. I've been putting 450+ rwhp through them for awhile now and have NEVER had a single problem in any way, shape, or form. And I KNOW I'm not the only one here with that same story.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:36 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

I can't imagine a bone stock Mustang needing a higher stall as one of the first mods. I can see doing that down the road after suspension and some major mods (either F/I or H/C/I.) But I don't think it's going to help him out anytime soon. Especially if down the road he does actually do an H/C/I swap. Then he may have selected the wrong stall for his setup and will have to buy it all over again.
Andre suggested it from Edge Racing, it kind of grows with your mods. The more power you're pushing the higher it's going to stall, in very simplified terms. If he wants to go fast, the stall is going to make a huge difference. I had mine built when I had bolt ons and such and it's not screwed up or anything and I've got a blower, cam, and a ton of other modifications. I would highly suggest doing atranny cooler and gears first.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:17 PM
borisdookie7
1st Gear Member

wow thanx for all the quick replies, so ill put gears on my list, im not too sure about what size gears to get? is there a link that i can learn about them? so the higher the number goes(2.73 to 4.1) the quicker the acceleration right? but less top speed? or is it the other way around? with imports i didnt really worry about the tranny and gearing lol sorry if i sound like too much of a noob
Old 08-24-2007, 06:44 PM
blahman20
2nd Gear Member

Hey man...it's what he said to me. It was the only shop I called, also remember my prices are Canadian. He said that he wouldn't put the cheaper gears on because they aren't quality parts, basically. He quoted me like $265 in labour, which isn't bad at all considering Mr.Transmission and AAMCO both quoted me 480+ to install the gears....not sure where you guys are going to, but I wish I had a place that cheap around me.

Quick Reply: best performance parts to first buy? low budget