5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

tech questions in general

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:40 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default tech questions in general

this isnt really related to anything im doing. im trying to research to see how much BS some people talk when go to mod/worktheir car.

1) is there such a thing as too low of an idle. example: 400rpms and if so what would be the problems setting your idle so low

2) for example stock tb 55mm and a hi flow polish 55mm tb. any difference?

3) coolant by-pass from the EGR. can it be done on all cars. example being 2000 camaro Z-28. will there be any gains? dis advantages.

4)turning on your a/c and the car dies. what could that be related to?(obvious one, newbies should be able to tackle this one)

just want to hear your responses and ill tell you the story behind these questions. quite hilarious. i'm actually going to show this post to the person i was talking to, so im trying to keep this un-bias.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:56 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: tech questions in general

tell teh storie!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:03 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i want this un bias. sooner we have the tech questions answered the sooner i can tell the story. just a couple of real responses will be fine. i just want to stick it to this guy hes a moron
Old 08-27-2007, 02:48 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I'll take a stab at it...

1)Low idle is good if your into old hit and miss engines. G-friends dad has one of his 15hp down to around 69rpm. However most V-8's have a very hard time staying running at that low of an idle.

2)Yes there is a difference between the two..probably about $100 for the flow polish. Performance gains would miniscule if any.It may look pretty tho.

3)Coolant by pass can be done on any car that has it. Just unhook the ends and reattach them together without the EGR. Voila- bypassed! Once again, I see no advantages to doing it. Disadvantages would be smog test depending on the local emmisions, for one.

4)I'm assuming the car is at idle when you turn it on???? Could be the A/C idle control not functioning properly. Or if the compressor has been turned upsidedown and is trying to pump oil instead of refrigerant, this would make the belt squeal but probably not kill the engine. Oh yea, super low idle <400.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:38 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i know you car guru's think this is a stupid post but its for another persons own good. i like to correct people who are wrong but some people it takes alot to say their thinking.
just think, its one less person that might be talkin out there *** next time your walking down the street and hear people talkin about cars like they think they know what in hell they are talking about!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

for a v8 fuel injected car... 400 is too low... our cars like 750-900

tb differance... money... not worth it imo... its just like a cai or a k/n fliter... same gain... diff price

if the car has the egr coolant ****, then sure it can be done... doesnt mean it should be done... ive heard its a slight gain for our 5.0s... but i have no plans on doing it.... ive just heard that gain part... no proof... then again... dont care

turning ur a/c on at idle and the car dying... either ur idle is too low to begin with... or something is wrong/worn out w. ur a/c compressor...

now tell us why ur askin!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:07 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag
now tell us why ur askin!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

a/c on the fox 5.0's need a diode cluster or they will hiccup real bad when at idle and will totally cut the car off when cruising at around 45-55 mph. Been there, done that, also fixed that issue as well.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 AM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

im ready for the story!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:00 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

I don't think anyone elce wants to get suckered into this, I think the Q's are loaded! Does this have anything to do with the JFK asasination??? Were you on the grassy knoll???

Quick Reply: tech questions in general