5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

almost wrecked the gt

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Default almost wrecked the gt

i was coming home on the freeway and i was doing 60 and suddenly the car infront of me was stopped about 600 feet infront of me, i locked em up skidded 500 some feet was probably sliding at 45mpg i tried to turn the wheel but the car whent the other way, then at the last second when i was 4 feet or so away from the car it turned the other way and i clear him and skid another 100 feet till i stopped. i was so scared, i was just shaking seemed like the longest 30 seconds of my life like my last accident. my tires are all flat spotted and my car drives like it has a bad wheel bearing now, bump bump bump........so im going to put my front tires on the back tomorrow and burn em off good some place to try to even em up.i see wear marks on the fronts but it doesnt look flat spotted, but it sure drives like it, sucks cus my tires are pretty new too. man i tell u foxs dont break for nuthing!!!!!horrible. i was able to keep it pretty staight in to the skid but it was pretty squirrelly!thank god it was dry out, also had i braked 5 seconds later i would have likely totaled the car at 45-50 mph into the back of some car.so needless to say i cant sleep now. i gotta thank god though. i got very lucky. i could have died tonight, f the car, i coulda died. 50mph into a stopped car can kill you. anyways thanks for letting me vent, and thank god i still have my car and i didnt hit no one or get hurt. but it really makes me think about how safe my car is, and my tires are damn good too. wonder what woulda happen if i had abs, wonder if i woulda hit the guy or stopped sooner?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 AM
SpitnCobra
1st Gear Member

Default RE: almost wrecked the gt

Good Brakes! glad you still have your Stang & health. Now if that was me I would've put the pedal to the floor & that woul've relaxed my fear & flew around that A-Hole
Old 09-09-2007, 08:47 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

sorry to hear that. the reason i didnt get a fox, when i started looking for one was the drum brakes. i had a 89 f350 w/ drums and never again will i own something with drums. abs ftw! i have that same shirt thats in ur picture
Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 AM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

Main point that nothing happened to you or the other person/s, good reflexes and remember the "angel-stang" is looking out for you.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:52 AM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

Maybe you should put that 250 bucks of mod money towards some new brakes....it wont make you any faster, but itll save your ***.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:51 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

sounds like its time for rear disk conversion
Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

there was no way around freeway construction, one lane, i managed to squeeze thru the orange things without hitting them, but all lanes were blocked off but one
ORIGINAL: SpitnCobra

Good Brakes! glad you still have your Stang & health. Now if that was me I would've put the pedal to the floor & that woul've relaxed my fear & flew around that A-Hole
Old 09-09-2007, 02:25 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

you guys all have some pretty good points, im thinkn there must be a mustang angel,lol, cus this pony almost met its final fate. i saved it when i got it, but it wouldnt have been savable after this, i mean i might not have been savable.the 5 lug conversion with rear discs seems like a good idea now after this. im shaking my head thinking maybe i need a 94-95 now, they have abs right? my brakes are newish too, thank god. the 4banger did stop alot better than this car though, but less weight. i have never cared for the way foxs brake or handle.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:10 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln
i have that same shirt thats in ur picture
Me too. Im guessing you guys got yours at Walmart, right?

Stock fox brakes seriously suck. Thats the main reason I did a 5 lug swap on mine. Ive still got rear drums for now but the braking is greatly improved with the SN95 front setup.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:32 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

theres a sn95 1995 v6 car at pull a part, if its still got the front stuff tomorrow i might get em. i just unbolt the knuckle from the shock and undo the tierods and stuff right. and i use the sn95 caliper right? wheels will be my next issue. i dont want ranger stuff. i want rear disc brakes. the rear end was gone, but could i have used the axles and rear discs of it? even just sn95 front will prolly help a ton. i want bullit mustang rims if i do this. i saw em on a svo that made it look prett sick

Quick Reply: almost wrecked the gt