5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Fuel Regulator vacuum line

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Ricky

Default Fuel Regulator vacuum line

Stock fuel regulator running richwill it harm anything to stop the line up with bolt til i buy a aftermarket one.

[/align]
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Regulator vacuum line

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. If you are saying that you are going to block off the vacuum line leading to the regulator, then that's not going to help you. The vacuum line reduces fuel pressure. When you remove the vacuum line, the fuel pressure will spike, which will cause it to run even richer.

If the diaphragm has ruptured in the regulator, then that could cause fuel to be sucked through the vacuum line and run rich. If that's teh case, plugging it with a bolt is not the best idea either. I wouldn't want 40 PSI of fuel being held back by only a small bolt. If it leaks by the bolt or anything like that, then you have raw fuel spraying around hte engine bay.

Are you sure the regulator is bad? There are other reasons that you could be running rich. Most are fairly cheap and quick to fix.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Ricky

I have some bolt ons like 70mm tb, 155 fuel pump an e303 ford racing cam the regulator not bad.

[/align]
Old 09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Sorry but I'm even more confused now than I was before[8D] So you're saying the regulator is good or the regulator is bad? I'm still not sure how you know you're running rich or how you know that the regulator is / isn't the problem.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:29 PM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

Fuel pressure is increased by vac from the manifold...you want to plug that line to decrease fuel delivery...nope won't fix the problem. You might infact create a bigger problem. You need to determine WHY the car is running rich, try pulling the codes first. Bandaid a problem and you'll likely end up far worse off then it originally was.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:24 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dman302

Fuel pressure is increased by vac from the manifold...you want to plug that line to decrease fuel delivery...nope won't fix the problem. You might infact create a bigger problem. You need to determine WHY the car is running rich, try pulling the codes first. Bandaid a problem and you'll likely end up far worse off then it originally was.
You have it backwards. Fuel pressure is decreased by vacuum from the manifold. The higher the vacuum, the lower the fuel pressure. So removing the line will cause an increase in fuel pressure. An increase in fuel pressure simulates an increase in injector size for any given PW. Therefore, it will make you even richer, not leaner.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 PM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

yup...typing faster than thinking...but his thoughts I'm sure were along those lines of using the lack of vac to decrease vac..wont work though.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Yup. Definitely not gonna help his problem in any way.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:27 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ricky

Stock fuel regulator running richwill it harm anything to stop the line up with bolt til i buy a aftermarket one.

[/align]
[quote]ORIGINAL: Ricky
I have some bolt ons like 70mm tb, 155 fuel pump an e303 ford racing cam the regulator not bad.
[/qoute]

What?????????
Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Damn, i almost got that multiple quote right. lol

Quick Reply: Fuel Regulator vacuum line