5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Dropped a bolt into #4 - and ran it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:47 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Dropped a bolt into #4 - and ran it.

I would request an entire rebuild. I can almost with 100% certainty tell you that motor will not go past 10k miles.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

I was going to bore and stroke it but they did not pull the motor. They dropped the oil pan and pulled the piston through the bottom.. So for me to have done all the other work they were going to charge me labor for. Then I was going to finish my intake swap with heads and cam. They told me the same thing. I was about to spend about 3500 on heads, cam, and labor for an engine with a 130K on the bottom end. I spoke to a lot of you and a new long block can be had for that price. I told them to fix the mistake they made and get my car back together. I'm pissed about the whole thing. I am afraid that the band-aid fix they have done is not going to hold up.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:04 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

How did they not pull the motor? It is not possible to get the pan off without lifting the engine, this would require unbolting the engine mounts. Why not just pull the engine to make life easier???

This is why I am my own mechanic.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91hatchgt

How did they not pull the motor? It is not possible to get the pan off without lifting the engine, this would require unbolting the engine mounts. Why not just pull the engine to make life easier???

This is why I am my own mechanic.
Originally they were going to pull the engine. My mechanic said if I wanted to do any parts upgrades this was the time to do it. I told him that I wanted to get a cam and heads. New timing chain blah blah blah. At first he was fine with the entire thing, he told me it would be free labor. I think what happened is he started thinking about it and realized how much work he was about to give away and changed his mind. The easiest way for him to do this was to tell me that they had a change of plans and they were not going to pull the engine.

I am still needing the advice from the engine dudes here. Is there going to be a compression increase in #4 due to the cylinder and piston work? and is there going to be a compression change on the passenger side from resurfacing the heads?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:59 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

There is no way they can know the extent of damage without pulling engine and completely dis-assemble it. I know you keep sayin you trust the guy, but he is a bull****ter, He tells you first that he will install parts for free, now he wont. You must question him also, if you did not you would not be asking us for advise, you would just take his. You are leary for a reason,i would not trust what this guy is wanting to do. IF he has to resurface the head or has to mill the block for the head, there is going to be a diff. There is no telling what all could be wrong with the motor. I would not trust his repair and make him replace your engine. I would not care if the guy seems trustworthy or not, he screwed up.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

This whole things sucks ***.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:07 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

There is no way they can know the extent of damage without pulling engine and completely dis-assemble it. I know you keep sayin you trust the guy, but he is a bull****ter, He tells you first that he will install parts for free, now he wont. You must question him also, if you did not you would not be asking us for advise, you would just take his. You are leary for a reason,i would not trust what this guy is wanting to do. IF he has to resurface the head or has to mill the block for the head, there is going to be a diff. There is no telling what all could be wrong with the motor. I would not trust his repair and make him replace your engine. I would not care if the guy seems trustworthy or not, he screwed up.
Agreed... As was stated before, after this "band-aid" repair, I don't see that engine lasting very long before problems occur. Weather that be overheating, blown head gaskets, or the crank walking and blowing the entire engine. I would either have him do a complete rebuild, OR, get the car out of his posession and do it myself.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:05 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

Why?

For the same things the others already mentioned...
1 - If only 1 head was resurfaced, one bank of the engine will have more compression than the other side. My run weird.
2 - Replace only one piston and the balance will be off on that one. What ever made in China piston they put in there will prolly weigh nowhere near the original and may throw the engine balance off.
3- For new piston rings to seat right, the cylinder must be honed properly- not just deglazed (they prolly took some emery cloth and roughed up the walls) I see alot of fouled up plugs comming out of that cylinder reguardless if they used new rings or not.
4- New valves in the same jug- that one may have better or worse sealing than the rest...
5- Had to disturb the bottom end, prolly put in the same bearings in (maybee even in different journals).

Yeah, I'd say 10K miles
Old 09-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

This just keeps getting better and better...

If the engine is off balance wouldn't thatbe noticeable while driving? Lots of shake or noise? I am also going to have him do a pressure check on all 8 with me there before I pay or leave. I know from reading here that to be balanced each cylinder should be within 10% of the lowest - correct? He told me while looking for the badcylinder he checked the compression and they were all in the range of 135 to 145. That is until #4. It was zero. So if my math is right the highest compression can not be over 148. If it is then my engine will have some issues and therefore so will he. Ifthey all fall within the correct rangeI am not sure how to argue the poor choices he has made.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:33 PM
mojopony
1st Gear Member

You're going to have to find out precisely what he intends to do. Re-surfacing only one head is out of the question in my book. You'd have smaller combustion chambers on one bank. That can't be good. Also its hard to believe that the integrity of the #4 cylinder wall came out of thisincident unscathed. Things can happen even when you're careful, but dropping a bolt downthe intake and then firing up the motor is a pretty bad mistake. Even though you're bummin' he has to make good on this since he messed up. He owes you that much at least.

Quick Reply: Dropped a bolt into #4 - and ran it.