5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

ignorant people on cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:11 PM
84C10

Default RE: ignorant people on cars

man that sucks i have been there before. My buddy does not have much knowlage in the way of cars but he does want to learn. That is enough for me. Atleast he is willing to learn and wants to make his stang into something more then a stocker. I will be learning too as i have never turned a wrench on a mustang in my life time. Sure it can get to you after a while but if they wannna learn then thats fine by me.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:18 PM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

it sucks to be the nice guy. i learned my lesson the hard way as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:36 PM
93fox
1st Gear Member

I am very mechanically inclined but am so worried that i am going to screw something up so never jump into anything to serious, but have a friend that will jump in over his head all the time and figure his way out of it, he runs a big tire wholesale and mechanic shop so fortunatley has all the tools and such. It is great to have a friend like this but the worst part of it is he wont let me give him anything so i do as much little things i can for him. So i guess i am an ignorant car person that tries to pay someone to work on it and go schedule an appointmentand he says no we will do it, oh well.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:00 AM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

sounds like you got a good friend so dont screw it up. and atleast say thank you when he helps. i rarely even got a thank you.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:11 AM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

If you consider him a friend, I wouldn't even think of charging him. He knows you have a lot of knowledge with vehicles, which is why he called you. That in itself would be enough for me.
When I got my 98 Vette, I joined a Vette forum and read the hell out of it. Some people buy vehicles and jump in with both feet with little or no background on the car. I helped many of my co-workers with their vehicles issues with no "Thanks" or anything.
Tell your friend to join a forum and buy a repair manual to get familiar with the Camaro....and a set of tools.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:22 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

If I didn't work on cars all day long as a proffession then my attitude would be differenthowever when you do it all day long and a so called "friend " asks you at the end of the day or better yet on the weekend to help fix his ride......yea I think you get the picture.....it just becomes a hassle expecially if I got to get dirty.........when you don't do it all day long everyday it's easy to say you'd do it in a heartbeat
Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Also.. it depends on the vehicle your working on.. I enjoy working on sports/muscle cars.. getting my hands dirty rebuilding a couple different boosted 4cyl's of friends is a lot more fun that replacing a water pump on a buddy's minivan.... if they are having you do labor like that, charge them atleast beer and dinner.. if your helping them work on a modded car then take it as experience and knowledge. Its always fun when you know more about someone's car that your going to race than they do.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

well its a ls1 camaro....no you tell me if you want to work on one? if you've never done anything on those cars its kind of hard to figure everything out but once you've done it its a simple task. you have no clearance room, everything is compact it tight in the engine bay and why in the hellllllll are their strut towers soooooooooooooooo big. if they were the size of ours you could sleep next to you motor! i dont work on cars for a living but i love working on cars. i read the shyte out of this forum and i do agree, he needs to do the same. i actually havent really ever had "car" experiance. but i dont have mechanical and engine knowledge because that what i took in school. and then i know about paint. other than that im always doing something new. i guess i was just more frustrated because they all kinda stopped "helping" and i was working on it by myself.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 PM
93fox
1st Gear Member

In my opinion if he cant afford to have the part installed then he cant afford to mod his car, i have the money to pay for installation but just not the desire of installation myself and if he doesnt even try to give you something even a thankyou i would say to hell with helping him.