5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

will I get owned?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default will I get owned?

hey, in late october I plan on racing my roommate at the track. he has an '04 WRX turbo with some work in it, and is getting his exhaust put on during our break... I dont even have my car with me yet. it has some work in the turbo system, I just dont remember what, when he is around later I'll ask him... but all I know is it is fast... and it is visually stock, save for an STI intercooler scoop and the removal of the "Subaru" letters on the decklid...

my new car is a 91 LX vert, 5.0 5spd. it has a ram air intake, shorties, x pipe, mufflers etc... a stage 2 clutch, short throw and pullies...

both cars are manual, and both are basically modded with bolt ons...

he has raced at the track before, while I am a n00b when it comes to the dragstrip (never had anything to take there...) if I were to do a few passes to "learn the ropes" would it be a drivers race or a car race? I know how to drive stick pretty well, learned on my dad's solstice and my mom's mustang....

thanks..
Old 09-23-2007, 05:22 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default RE: will I get owned?

im guessing he'll kill you.

those cars come with close to 300 horses stock i think.
and yours is only 220ish stock and even with those bolt ons its still gonna be quite a bit heavier than his.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ctgreddy

im guessing he'll kill you.

those cars come with close to 300 horses stock i think.
and yours is only 220ish stock and even with those bolt ons its still gonna be quite a bit heavier than his.

the wrx had that much? I thought that motor was smaller than the sti?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:36 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i believe the only difference between the sti and the wrx were the body.
but im not really a subaru fan so i could be wrong.
but i think they both had the 2.5 turbo. and the sti has that big wing and better wheels or something like that.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

The WRX is 224 HP and the STI is 294 according to Subaru's website...

Either way, I think you're gonna get owned... he can get out of the hole WAY faster and I'm going to assume, due to his track time, that he's probably a better race driver to boot...

I wouldn't bet more than a case of beer on it...
Old 09-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

thanks, its all for fun, hell, my other roomate (I have 3) is bringing his Cobalt... which maxes out at 115....(Ive been in it when that happened, got bored)... gonna make a fun night out of it... maybe invite a few others I know to tag along for the fun... one guy I know has a '65 fastback that he drives around in alot (I doubt it will go to the track... )
Old 09-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Set it up for bracket racing and the cars no longer matter. Run a few heads up and then play king of the hill with each other! Sounds like a great way to have some fun!
Old 09-23-2007, 06:07 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

normal wrx is a 2.0 and the sti is a 2.5 with a bigger turbo intercooler and just better everything. a normal wrx will kill you and an sti will give you a second butthole
Old 09-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

never knew those subarus were so fast... those 4 doors and awd really gives off a false demeanor... lol...quoting my roommate (Cobalt) after he first rode in it... which is odd, cuz he has a '68 camaro back at his house that he drives ***** to the wall, with manual steering and breaks mind you...

he swears by Chevy... and I ask him what his IQ is again.... (he has a very high iq, I think he labeled a genius or something technical like that...)
Old 09-23-2007, 06:20 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

yes he will smoke you but it does sound like it will be fun. sometimes just racing is the best part whether you win or lose

Quick Reply: will I get owned?