5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:34 AM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Looking to buy

Don't spend 4k on a car that has 250,000 miles! Whats wrong with you?

In the states you can get something real better for less money, I got my flawless '92 GT 5.0 Droptop with 82,000 Original Miles for $3,500.

Think it over before you do anything stupid and definetly let us know what you end up doing.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

keep looking kid, you'll find something alot better, also start saving a seperate amount of money for immediate repairs/maintence/misc stuff
Old 09-27-2007, 10:39 AM
5.0stang123
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RODRIGUEZ

Don't spend 4k on a car that has 250,000 miles! Whats wrong with you?

In the states you can get something real better for less money, I got my flawless '92 GT 5.0 Droptop with 82,000 Original Miles for $3,500.

Think it over before you do anything stupid and definetly let us know what you end up doing.
It was 250000 kms so about 150 000 miles.
And somthing that you have around here is seriously like 10 g its rediculous.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:46 AM
4slice

Now you're talking! The trick is to find the right price-to-condition ratio. All of these seem to be a much better deal than the one you've been describing. Although these are more expensive to buy initially, you would easily spend more in fixing up the one you have been thinking about. Again, though, this is assuming that the ones on Craigslist have been honestly described (the descriptions are pretty lame--no mention of oil consumption, condition of engine, known problems or defects--all cars have them).

Car #1: Notchback. Like you, I don't care for the notch style as much as the hatch. This one had the least description and poor photos. You would have to see it up close and have it inspected for condition.

Car#2: 955.0 $7,900.Newer style (I prefer the older style, but that's strictly personal taste). This one had the best descriptors by far, andit seems to bein verygood condition. I like this one, butseems pricey for the mileage. Seller would have to be willing to deal.

Car #3: 95 5.0 $6,500. Newer style. This one had decent descriptors, and I like that it is bone stock--most likely a commuter vehicle. The price iscloser to where itshould be for theyear. And ithasfewer km than the other 95. Seller still needs to be willing to deal.

Car #4:89 5.0$5,700. Hands down my favourite of the works--looks andadd-on equipment are great.... However, this could be its undoing.With that much power added, plussubframe connectors, short-shifter, lowered, etc, it may well have seen time on the track. This means"extreme service".This means the biggest risk in terms of engine anddrivetrain problems. Highly modified means highly stressed. But it sure looks tempting. This one would definitely need a complete mechanical inspection. Also, this may be a bit too powermuch for a novice driver.When I was an insuranceadjuster (during the late80s heyday of the5.0)I saw too manymangled 5.0's come into the claim centre with bits of blood, bone and grey matter stuck to theseats and carpet. It was always a young driver--too much power, too little experience.... I don't mean to put you off, but those things stick in one's mind for the rest ofone's life.

I just came across another 5.0 on a classified site called "Kijiji" I clicked on "Vancouver" and then entered "Mustang". It's a 1986, repainted, new motor, new rims, new sound, priced at $3200. It's worth a look.

Remember, everyone's willing to deal to some extent. They should come down by at least ten percent, which means you should start dealing at twenty percent off asking price, and come up as they come down. If they don't move on price, then thank them for their time and move on. If you can secure some financing (family or bank with co-signer), buying a car with a small loan attachedis a good way for a young person to develop financial responsibility and a good credit rating. Payments really make you want to go to work! Check with your dad's Autoplan agent for the cost of insuring one of these cars at your age. The car should be registered in your name (not your parents' names) as this would prevent your parents from losing everything if you were to get into a major crash and badly hurt or kill someone. The agent can explain"vicarious liability" to you.

I can't help you buy a car as it is a highly personal decision, but you are on the right track by looking around and comparingprice-to-condition-to-features. Payingabit more up front may mean you get more time on the road and less time in the shop.

Gary