5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Damn I hate fixing things twice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default Damn I hate fixing things twice

I was having a problem with the gears in my car so I took it to a shop. Now I need new bearings, new axles and other gear related parts- all because the guy I paid to swap the gears the first time screwed up the adjustments and angles.
He did offer to fix it for free but I didnt want him screwing it up again.
The axles were chewed up from bad axle bearings. I had Ranger axles but Im getting Mosers put in.

I had a coolant leak coming from the intake manifold gasket- I just had that replaced when the heads and cam were changed about 2 months ago- again a screw up by another guy I paid to do the h/c swap. I dont think he tightened the intake bolts enough because I found a few loose ones after I got the car back.

Both guys are friends so I dont want to get too pissed off at them and all but it still sucks paying somebody else to do the same damn thing twice- its money I couldve saved for stuff I want to do to the car eventually.

I also found out why the car overheats in traffic- the fan clutch is shot so thats getting replaced too.

I was going to buy an aluminum radiator and electric fan but since I spent that money on repairs that stuff will have to wait and now I found out I dont really need those parts anyway.

Just a vent I guess.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Damn I hate fixing things twice

sorry to hear that man... it sucks having to pay twice for something that should have been done correct the first time...
Old 10-03-2007, 04:31 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I hate that
Old 10-03-2007, 05:33 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

That really sucks...who can you trust right? That is the main reason I always try to do thing myself....if it is wrong, I can only blame myself, then I learn....sad to say I have learned alot over the last few years, but i feel good about it.

Good luck with getting everything right.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:39 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

I also try to do as much as I can myself
Old 10-03-2007, 06:33 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

I do alot of work on my own cars but know when Im in over my head with something.
I wouldnt be able to do gears but I could probably do the intake gasket and could definately do the fan clutch.
I actually wouldve replaced the fan clutch myself if I had known that was the problem with the overheating but didnt find out until I brought it to the shop that it was bad and didnt want to drive the 1/2 hour back home in traffic with it running hot.

I just dont have alot of time to work on the car anymore due to working a full time job and an extra money side job Ive been doing.
Not having a garage to work on it also doesnt help since it gets dark early now and the weather is unpredicatable.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:01 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Even more bad news and money spent.
My car is/was put back together but now the head gaskets are bad and need to be replaced. When he was running the car putting coolant back in it from the intake gasket replacement coolant kept bubbling out of the radiator.
The total bill is going to be over $1600 now.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:36 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

dang that sucks... $1600 is a lot of money [:'(]
Old 10-05-2007, 08:17 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Hell yeah it is.
That was going to be how much I was going to save up for a turbo setup over the winter.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Curlytop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

That really sucks...who can you trust right? That is the main reason I always try to do thing myself....if it is wrong, I can only blame myself, then I learn....sad to say I have learned alot over the last few years, but i feel good about it.

Good luck with getting everything right.
Amen that!!!!

Quick Reply: Damn I hate fixing things twice