5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

custom seats finally done. lemme know what you think

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:58 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: custom seats finally done. lemme know what you think

you made them yourself....?? hmmmmmmmmm do you have or have access to a upholstry/industrial sewing machine??? not bad for making them yourself...were did you learn how to do that ??? and do you plan on making the front ones???? how'd you get the patterns the right size???
Old 10-05-2007, 08:18 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: mjr46

you made them yourself....?? hmmmmmmmmm do you have or have access to a upholstry/industrial sewing machine??? not bad for making them yourself...were did you learn how to do that ??? and do you plan on making the front ones???? how'd you get the patterns the right size???
yes i made them myself

no you dont need an industrial or upholstry machine. the old Kenmore sewing machine had mostly metal parts and stuff doesnt break. my mom also has an ancient machine thats all metal parts and has an external 1/2 HP motor but i ended up not needing that. the Kenmore was enough

well kind of a lame story but anyways. when i was about 10-12 years old all i did was play baseball and go to school.i never hung out with anyone, had no friend blah blah blah. i use to get really anxious around people and have anxiety. anyways my mom is a seemstress(spelling) for a living so i use to just learn how to do little stupid thing here and there. then in 7th grade we were required to take a sewing class soi learned to actually sew. i took that knowledge home with me and started making stuff on the sewing machine. then i got over my problems got friends and was out of that phase when i hit my teens.
with that being said this was my first real sewing project since then so about....8 years since i actually touched a sewing machine.

no i wont be making the fronts because the actualy frame rails of the seats are bent the the ratching part for the lean of the seat is broken and the driver side lumbar support is broken too. so yea not worth saving these things. i'll buy some new front seats but the cheapest ones ive found is summit seats but im not sure if they will be comfortable or not....

for the sizes all you need is the original seat material and a seem ripper. pull the big sections apart. lay it on the material you will be using. use chalk to draw it out. and cut. those would be your pattern peices. sew 5/8 seem line and everything should fit correctly. the only thing that sucked was sewing the cording to go along the outside, that took a while to do.

hope that answers your question, let me know if you have more
Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

damn double post...slow internet today
Old 10-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

yes i made them myself

no you dont need an industrial or upholstry machine. the old Kenmore sewing machine had mostly metal parts and stuff doesnt break. my mom also has an ancient machine thats all metal parts and has an external 1/2 HP motor but i ended up not needing that. the Kenmore was enough

well kind of a lame story but anyways. when i was about 10-12 years old all i did was play baseball and go to school.i never hung out with anyone, had no friend blah blah blah. i use to get really anxious around people and have anxiety. anyways my mom is a seemstress(spelling) for a living so i use to just learn how to do little stupid thing here and there. then in 7th grade we were required to take a sewing class soi learned to actually sew. i took that knowledge home with me and started making stuff on the sewing machine. then i got over my problems got friends and was out of that phase when i hit my teens.
with that being said this was my first real sewing project since then so about....8 years since i actually touched a sewing machine.

no i wont be making the fronts because the actualy frame rails of the seats are bent the the ratching part for the lean of the seat is broken and the driver side lumbar support is broken too. so yea not worth saving these things. i'll buy some new front seats but the cheapest ones ive found is summit seats but im not sure if they will be comfortable or not....

for the sizes all you need is the original seat material and a seem ripper. pull the big sections apart. lay it on the material you will be using. use chalk to draw it out. and cut. those would be your pattern peices. sew 5/8 seem line and everything should fit correctly. the only thing that sucked was sewing the cording to go along the outside, that took a while to do.

hope that answers your question, let me know if you have more
I've sat in these and thought they were great. I have no clue which summit seats you're talking about though.

Also... I think you did a pretty good job. You should start making map pocket delete plates for the owners of the later model Foxes.