5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Check this custom heater core out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Check this custom heater core out!!!!

Look I have 2 other mustangs that don't have this problem and as a matter of fact the other 2 heater cores that failed if you have to know.... the first one failed due to age not explosion it was the original and the second one was a cheap thin wall autozone one that had a pin hole cost 11.99...once again not due to explosion........ this last one is the only one that did that and coupled with a radiator cap that wouldn't relieve excess pressure .....cause as a liquid is heated it expands and if you cant relieve the pressure as that's why most of todays vehicles have an expansion tank...hence the name the excess liquid as it expands is transfered to the expansion tank via the cap relieving the pressure when it reach 16 lbs and when it cools a vaccum is created and the reverse happens and it's drawn back into the radiator.......I appreciate your insite into the heater core issue but the car has been run 10 times harder with the previous two heater cores and never a problem and the water pump is not a high flow pump....what blows up a heater core is pressure not flow... If you really want to create pressure put a restrictor in there.....kind of like a high pressure sparayer...how do you get that small high pressure stream...make the opening smaller on the tip of the sprayer cause it's the tip that creates the pressure not the machine....besides I want sufficient heat and the car really isn't raced anymore just once in a blue moon when my wife want's to participate and she really isn't a good enough driver to run it like I would....which makes me just happy!!!...I have a low 11 sec stang on nos border line 10 sec and it has never blown a heater core up.......you also have to take into consideration that sometimes manufactoring defects cause problems in today's world ...probably due to the fact to many of the things we use now a days say made in China
Old 10-06-2007, 06:39 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

...probably due to the fact to many of the things we use now a days say made in China

I hear you on that one!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 06:51 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the reason the heater cores keep blowing is because of electrolysis, like you said mjr.

stick a volt meter in your coolant. any reading higher that 0.3 volts will eat a heater core in about a year.

the fix: add 2 ground straps. one on each heater core tube. viola. no more heater core bursting.
the flow restrictor is a myth created by the mustang community as a "quick fix" but it is still ineffective.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yeah ..when I converted it to a 5.0 I made sure I put extra ground straps on it..but what you mention sounds like a good idea = ground it right at the source......hmmm worth a try ..quick and easy too!!! the others just had small leaks that went out......this is the first one that blew like it did......looks cool huh???? no so much though traveling down the road as the evap drain is right above the right side down pipe.....kinda looked like a cho cho train goin' down the road!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:49 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I did mine a while back, having no heat sucked