5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Newb to Mustangs here

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Lordy
1st Gear Member

Default Newb to Mustangs here

Just got this 92 LX, 62K miles, all essentially stock. A blank canvas so to speak. Did an oil change and found a leakage from probably the power steering reservoir. So what is it with these Ford PS units? Why do they all whine? Does it need replacing? No probs with the steering action, just embarrasingly noisy.
I'll have to figure out why photobucket wont cooperate and post pix later.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:07 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Newb to Mustangs here

ORIGINAL: Lordy

Just got this 92 LX, 62K miles, all essentially stock. A blank canvas so to speak. Did an oil change and found a leakage from probably the power steering reservoir. So what is it with these Ford PS units? Why do they all whine? Does it need replacing? No probs with the steering action, just embarrasingly noisy.
I'll have to figure out why photobucket wont cooperate and post pix later.
Check the level...if it is low...try some Power Steering Sealer/Conditioner...if not pick one:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS

Oh ya and WELCOME
Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Lordy
1st Gear Member

Turns out photobucket wasnt so stupid afterall... So here's the new toy, all unmolested. I need to deal with the auto trans mushbox (shift kit?), CAI is on it's way to me now, shorty Mac headers waiting for me to figure out what else will back them up (have not yet found one that I like and can also identify components), would love to do rims and tires, but must do the 5 lug conversion first. On and on.
The pic of the engine compartment is as I bought it. Considering what I got for what I paid, I cant complain one bit. Except for the PS noise and leak. A quick call to 5-0 resto may be in the near future.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:37 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

holy crap that car is clean... how much did you get it for?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, how much and from who.

If you purchased it from an old lady that would most definetly answer a lot of questions.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Sonicnotch

jesus that thing is looks like you can eat off it.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

Great pick up that car is clean! Im in the same spot, mine was also all stock just puton mac headers and mac prochamber exhaust and love it. This winter also going to do the 5 lug conversion. Have you picked out a kit yet for it? Let me know how it goes if you run into any problems or anything. Im still learing the in and outs of working on them.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Lordy
1st Gear Member

I feel like I got a great deal. Evidently this was a Saturday car for an older guy who died, bought by another guy who ended up moving out of the country. I was originally looking at an 89 vert with several mods already, but couldnt get the seller to call me back. I spoke with the 89 guy Sunday night and we were to meet after work Monday but I got no call back. Tuesday I was surfing Craigslist at lunchtime and this 92 was the first car that appeared in the local listing so I called right then. I went to see it that day also at lunchtime, drove it, looked at everything I could think of, and decided tobuy it on the spot. I knew it wouldnt last til dinner time for the $4000 he was asking. So I think I got a comparable deal to the 89 ($5000 OBO, 73K miles) but a car that hadnt been F*ed with.
It is clean for sure, but I think either someone steamcleaned the engine bay, or someone was obsessive compulsive about detailing it. Eerily clean. But I'll take it.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:04 AM
00limited7
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't do a thing to that car. You could show it as a survivor and clean up. For 4 grand you got a great deal!!! What does the interior look like?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Lordy
1st Gear Member

Fairly similar to the rest of the car. Ashtray door is there but shaky, tear in the left side bolster of the drivers seat where your a$$ drags across it getting into the seat, driver's door opener handle has a broken spring. Evidently pretty much like most other Mustangs. But very clean nonetheless. You can see the monster rear-view mirror the previous owner had installed over the stock unit. This thing is like 18" wide. I could barely see out to test drive. I felt like Kwazimoto (?) bending over to look around it. Yeah, it's gone.

00limited--what kind of rims are on that car? Schwing!

Quick Reply: Newb to Mustangs here