5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

subframe question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: subframe question

ORIGINAL: jtmustang

yeah i got ya onyx i have the full length weld in's from upr , they fit good except that the front of the subframe does not sit flat against the frame

i dont have any thing at my house to heat them up to bend so ill just have to get them as close as i can with my jack is it bad to really jack the crap out of them tight against the rail?
it is, if your changing the stance of your car. as long as its just the rail thats moving and not the body of your car. otherwise when you weld it in you could possibly change how the car drives, in a bad way.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

I just used a jack to get my subframe level with the car and welded it on, no problems here
Old 10-25-2007, 01:23 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

yeah when i said put it in oil i knew it would be hard cause you have to totally submerge it and i doubt anybody has a really big bucket filled with oil that they can fit an entire subframe into.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:53 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: ctgreddy

yeah when i said put it in oil i knew it would be hard cause you have to totally submerge it and i doubt anybody has a really big bucket filled with oil that they can fit an entire subframe into.
you can drench it.....bucket-o-oil and just dump it....we've done it before in some forging&metal working classes i had couple years back. we had some awkward pieces......thats why i saved my oil....its like life after death for oil, it has has more uses.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:12 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Where did this idea come up about covering subframe connectors in oil? Dumping a bucket of oil over the length of subframes doesn't sound like it would make a mess or anything Just put the bastards on.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:30 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

Where did this idea come up about covering subframe connectors in oil? Dumping a bucket of oil over the length of subframes doesn't sound like it would make a mess or anything Just put the bastards on.
haha, they were talking about heating the subframe connectors up and bending them, then putting oil on it as it cools down...

just jack it up and weld away!
Old 10-25-2007, 03:14 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

haha, they were talking about heating the subframe connectors up and bending them, then putting oil on it as it cools down...

just jack it up and weld away!
that would be my first suggestion....

all that other stuff you dont need unless its wayyyyyyyyyyy off and if your jacking of the connector and its moving the car before they mesh together. then you'll get improper allignment and your car will drive funny.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:45 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Yeah thats a good point, do NOT jack the car up and weld them in, get the car to a drive on lift so it can sit on all the tires as it would on the ground. If you have to jack the car up make sure it sits on the suspension, like the front control arms and rear axle and not the frame. Before welding make sure the car doors open and close okay...
Old 10-25-2007, 11:41 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

thanks guys got them in tonite and welded

tomorrow i am puttin in my 255 fuel pump
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 AM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

nice man, did you notice a difference from your subframe connectors?

Quick Reply: subframe question