5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

$800 for valve train/cam... help a dumba$$ out

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:00 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default $800 for valve train/cam... help a dumba$$ out

ok, well i just sold my camaro, so i have the money to buy my cam/valvetrain **** now...any ideas/suggestions/opinions, etc lets hear them...

right now im thinking

crower 15511 cam(218/224 .468/.486)(any differant suggestions, im listening, lol, what about the steeda 19?)
lifters(are summit ones ok? should i go ford racing? or what?)
springs(suggestions????)

and maybe
some roller rockers... possibly 1.7s... would that be too much lift? it would make it .497/.516 , as for what lifters, beats me, throw some suggestions/links my way... something thatll work on stock heads... i guess w. 1.7s id need taller valve covers.. guess ill look at those too

and id need new pushrods w. diff lifters right? if i stay stock lifters are my old pushrods good???

so yea, suggestions welcome... links are always helpful, and remember, im SD, and keeping it that way...

idk, i have $800 bucks, im not trying to spend all of it, but if i do i do, just CANNOT go over at all...
Old 10-31-2007, 06:27 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: $800 for valve train/cam... help a ***** out

ive noticed alot of springs are suggested for flat tappet cams... wtf's that about? is there really a differance... im looking at getting THESE but it says their for flat tappet... wtf?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:52 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

I can't really help out here but if you are looking at the Steeda one go for the #18. The #19 is designed for the 94-95 cars which have acrankier computer. Same specs just slightly more lobe separation on the #19 to keep the computer from freaking out.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:00 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I was running the stock cam with 1.7 RR on SD with no issues. AS far as lifters, get the Ford Racing ones, they aren't too much money and then you can for sure use your stock pushrods. I also run my stock push rods and covers with my crane 1.7rr.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Curlytop
2nd Gear Member

i would say go custom but not enough mods. how about compcams xe270hr or the more aggressive xe274hr.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Curlytop

i would say go custom but not enough mods. how about compcams xe270hr or the more aggressive xe274hr.
too aggressive for the speed density...anyway......Dimebag...get on summits website and once you pick the appropriate cam then click on the suggested parts link and it'll tell you all the springs retainers and locks needed......I'd stick with 1.6 roller rockers expecially if your keepin the stock heads as they won't really benifit to much more with the 1.7's but if you plan to buy new heads in the future why buy parts twice!!! you'll neet to check PTV.. if you choose that route and as for the push rods.....order them seperate once you check valvetrain geometry with an adjustable push rod length checker... this way you'll have all dialed in properly
Old 10-31-2007, 10:03 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

well... still cant post
Old 10-31-2007, 10:23 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea after more thought tn, 1.7s would be a waste w. stock heads. so ill just stay w. stockers for now, no biggie

as for the check the suggested parts, i woulda... except with the crower cam in looking at, it doesnt have that[:@][:@]

any more opinions, on that cam, and springs to use?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Are there any other cams you'd like otherthan that one?? You may have to call CROWER and see what they suggest?? ...it is a roller the one your looking at right??... I haven't looked at it yet .......Zachwo4stang may know what the best choice to put in yours is?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea its deffinatly a roller. uh, i can look at others sure, but its the only one i know of, well that ive been told i should use, by guys that are into speed density alot(FULLAUTO was the main guy to suggest it, and gave examples/vids of cars with it, blah blah blah)(100 shot, 3.73s, ported stock lower, crower 15511, drag radials=high 11... so he told me, and showed me the vid of the car). but like i said, im open to suggestions.

im sure crower will suggest their 600$ kit that has springs, lifters, and everythign else, which is not what im trying to do, lol

Quick Reply: $800 for valve train/cam... help a dumba$$ out