5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5 lug rear drum alternative.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:23 AM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Default 5 lug rear drum alternative.

Ok alot of people (including me) who switch to five lug on their fox body stangs go with the 4 wheel disc conversion for better brakes. Some use the Ranger rear drum conversion. Thing with the Rangers is they are still 9" rear drum no gain other than 5 lug.

Well I had to pull the drums on my Aerostar for the first time to do an emergency repair and I have a set of Ranger rear drum brakes I was going to use for parts. I noticed right away that even though they are based on the Ranger frame they (at least my 89) have larger rear drums, they are a 10" with wider shoes. While I am not sure about the axle length on the Aerostar just looking at the axle is appears they have equal length axles unlike the Ranger but it is a 8.8 rear end the houseing is different from the Ranger and Mustang.

So the Aerostar could be a possible source for a 5 lug conversion or at least a 5 lug rear drum conversion for larger brakes on a Mustang. I do know for sure you can fit factory 5 lug Mustang wheels on one .

[IMG]local://upfiles/66563/DF84FD4248C8479E936A217E70092E0B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 5 lug rear drum alternative.

Youll need two right side Aerostar axles for a 5 lug swap.

Aerostars use a 7.5 rearend.

You would atleast have to change the backing plate for the brakes along with all the hardware (shoes, etc) for the larger drums.
In reality a 1" bigger drum isnt all that big of a deal and probably not worth the extra work and expense.

The Ranger drums fit right on the Mustang backing plates.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raven_ghostwolf

Ok alot of people (including me) who switch to five lug on their fox body stangs go with the 4 wheel disc conversion for better brakes. Some use the Ranger rear drum conversion. Thing with the Rangers is they are still 9" rear drum no gain other than 5 lug.

Well I had to pull the drums on my Aerostar for the first time to do an emergency repair and I have a set of Ranger rear drum brakes I was going to use for parts. I noticed right away that even though they are based on the Ranger frame they (at least my 89) have larger rear drums, they are a 10" with wider shoes. While I am not sure about the axle length on the Aerostar just looking at the axle is appears they have equal length axles unlike the Ranger but it is a 8.8 rear end the houseing is different from the Ranger and Mustang.

So the Aerostar could be a possible source for a 5 lug conversion or at least a 5 lug rear drum conversion for larger brakes on a Mustang. I do know for sure you can fit factory 5 lug Mustang wheels on one .

[IMG]local://upfiles/66563/DF84FD4248C8479E936A217E70092E0B.jpg[/IMG]
aerostars are rearwheel drive?

hmm, learn something new everyday
Old 11-03-2007, 01:12 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelty

aerostars are rearwheel drive?

hmm, learn something new everyday

Yes Aerostar is rear drive the Windstar that replaced them is front drive based on the same platform as the Tauras.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:54 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PJB

Youll need two right side Aerostar axles for a 5 lug swap.

Aerostars use a 7.5 rearend.

You would atleast have to change the backing plate for the brakes along with all the hardware (shoes, etc) for the larger drums.
In reality a 1" bigger drum isnt all that big of a deal and probably not worth the extra work and expense.

The Ranger drums fit right on the Mustang backing plates.
Thanks PJB, my bad on the axle size I didn't look at it that close the other day I was more worried about getting my brakes working proper to see my wife @ the hospital. Yes it is a 7.5 and after measuring it is an offset center like the Ranger visually it wasn't as obvious like the Ranger. Like I mentioned though the housing is different it is a 3 link so would not swap to a Mustang or Ranger.

Yes you would need the backing plate and hardware to go from 9" to 10" I didn't mention that as anyone with enough mechanical skill to do the swap should be able to figure that out, but I did forget some noobs need that info. True the 9 - 10 isn't that big of a change but you are getting more contact area between the pad and drum surface, not only because of the diameter but the additional pad width.

Like I said earlier this is an alternative for any one that wants 5 lug like the Ranger and maybe can't find a Ranger for parts.