5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

No brakes! need part's name ( pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:38 PM
5.0Stang86

Default No brakes! need part's name ( pictures )

No Brakes!

Hey there! I purchased this car in September this year so still pretty new to it. Lucky to get this car in the great running condition it is in for 500 bucks. Needed the car while I rebuild my Suzuki sportbike.

I have a few questions about the car, but for now I need to know what a part is called mounted on the firewall of the car. This plastic piece is consisted of a rail, 5 nipples with hoses attached to it. Seems to be a vacuum line of some sort. Etching on the rail says something along the lines of s/c, a/c, b/b, s, I am doing this by memory so sorry if I am wrong.

Saturday all of a sudden, my brakes were out. Bottom out the pedal and I keep rolling. Thinking back on it, I noticed a noisy whir sound emitted from the hood vent that can be heard upon shutting down the engine. Also during wait in drive thru fast food line, ( a man has to eat ) I notice my car idle consistently 600rpm higher. So I idle at 1100rpm. At the time I did not connect the three.

Bleeding the brake system several time did not fix my problem. An hour ago, I just inspected the area around the brake reservoir. I noticed a hose with a broken nipple inside it. Then I noticed the plastic rail had a hole in it left by the broken nipple.

I turn the key and start the engine and I hear that whistle again. I put the hose with nipple inside it up to the opening of the rail, and my rpm drops to normal. I guess I have been pretty keen on putting changes in the car together to pinpoint the area of interest.

So be it a vacuum, I am guessing I idle too high in drive mode, allowing my braking efforts to be much challenged. Seems the same as if I were to brake and gas at the same time.

Below are 2 photos showing the point of interest. Took these photos by my pocket pc / phone. Infact posting this message on my mobile. Hopefully this is something I can pick up at auto parts store. Sorry for turning a simple question into a story, I used to write short stories.

I am new to the board and do not know what the board supports so I am giving html, bb code, and standard hotlink all in one go. Royce.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2201/...b7b4c0b8b3.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/...6678eabb56.jpg
Old 11-11-2007, 11:45 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: No brakes! need part's name ( pictures )

vac. tree
Old 11-11-2007, 11:47 PM
jnsnams
1st Gear Member

possible brake booster went bad if you heard noise and it dosnt break now.. the pic is the vac tree like he said, but if peddle is going to the floor check the brake booster...
Old 11-12-2007, 12:06 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

for a temperary fix, you can disconnect the hose on the vac tree that says B/B, and connect it to the hose that broke off
Old 11-12-2007, 12:10 AM
jnsnams
1st Gear Member

if he did that would still leave a vacum leak and would run funny, but he might be able to do a t on that line and cover the broke one, you are on to something man...vacum tree at your local auto store is less than 20 bucks, i called mine here in okc and found them for like 19 and some change...you could go to a yard and get it alot cheaper iam guessing...
Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 AM
5.0Stang86

thanks for the i will have to do that when i ge off work. i need to know the actual name of that part. auto parts store can not seem to find vacuum tree there. so i will be checking this thread during work, and having a friend get the part for me. thanks guys.