5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

question for the drag racing ppl here

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:51 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: question for the drag racing ppl here

its more a point of... i WANT to stay SD... if i have issues, ill convert... the cam im using is not the same cam he is using, it has a little more intake duration, and the same lsa... so it will have slightly less over lap(better vac.) if it has issues ill change it, if not i wont... it wont cost me to change...

and yea ive looked and havent found heads for 200 bucks, if they are that cheap i have to get them redone... yea heads would be great, but doubt itll happen right now... ive checked...

i love when i post an a or b... and i get well how about c or d? im not retarded, ive looked into everything

its not like i worked for the money... i sold my camaro, with the intention to put the money from it, in the mustang... so im not going to save it for another car or some ****...

im just asking, what would benifit me more... a decent intake(ported stocker/tb, or explorer w. my tb) or an ignition upgrade w. the two step(for hard/consistant launches)...
Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

i'm not saying you're retarded, i just want you to make sure its not like an impulse kind of thing.

well, back to the a and b, as you call it.
I'd go with the ignition. consistency will matter. with a stock intake you know its pretty consistant at sucking in air, but the stock ignition sucks, so i'd swing that way. and get some different wires while you're at it. get some taylors, they're like $35, and far better than stock.

have you already bought the cam???
Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

im not saying u specificly... just an ingeneral thing.... then again, i just ****ed up specifically so maybe i am lol

no i havent ordered it yet why
Old 11-12-2007, 11:19 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

i was just curious to know why you went with that cam, and not a crower or crane cam. however, i do believe that the xe270 is an awesome cam in its own right. my buddy is running it with some edelbrock heads and making over 300 at the rear. i personally was going to get an xe264 before i chose to convert to maf. I was pretty set on staying SD too. the thing that changed me was when i got the heads, and discovered that an e cam would work best with them, and i got a good deal on the cam. so i pretty much had to switch.now i'm looking at replacing most of my ignition system. I want a box, new dizzy, and all the add-ons...

oh,i just bid on some 4cyl springs on ebay. thought you'd like to know.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:25 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea... i looked at the crower, and was looking at a differant comp(some nitrous grind... .512/.512 lift, same lsa, but slightly less intake duration)... this comp has the same duration as the crower, with more lift... and 100 bucks cheaper... and in stock.

i hear ya w. the e cam deal, i was close to getting one and converting over... but the maro sold so that changed

and nice on the 4cyl springs... you should be happy with them, i know i am...

what brand ign. **** are you looking at? i like this crane ****... im prolly going to get it... i like that it has the 2 step built in, and it has a manualspark retard that i can buy for it(nitrous....)...

msd **** is cool(i have their window switch) but i think you pay for the name... and i dont like the whole lets buy a bunch of rpm pills for it... the crane uses 2 dials... one for 1000x rpm and one for 100x rpms...
Old 11-12-2007, 11:35 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

i found a guy on craigslist selling an msd box for $100, but it don't know if it comes with all the crap needed. that crane set-up comes with everything, coils down to the little wires. not bad. and its only like $170 i think.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:54 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea liek 170 and has all the wires n **** to just plug it in

which msd box for 100 bucks? thats a deal...
Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 AM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

its a 6al box. another dude is selling a msd coil and cap w/ rotor, but i gotta call to get a price
Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

go with the ignition!!!! since you are running nitrous you want a hot clean spark and under those types of circumstances expecially when you up the jets it'll be all the more necessary
Old 11-13-2007, 12:13 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yup yup, i think im set on the ignition... now i gotta figure out where to mount it lol

Quick Reply: question for the drag racing ppl here