5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

tech question but not a 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:11 PM
SPE926
3rd Gear Member

Default tech question but not a 5.0

My newest and only mustang is an 84 mustang svo 2.3 turbo, factory intercooled etc. Ok I did my bob's log swap and then had a bad leak from the manifold to turbo flange, took the whole assembly (log and turbo) off the car removed the turbo, new gasket w some high temp copper silicon for extra sealing and reapplied the turbo. Today I was reinstalling the whole thing when all of a sudden on of my new manifold bolts just snaps in half! I tried to use vise grips on the small amount that was sticking out but couldn't get enough material to grab, so I then tried to drill out the bolt and use an easy out and in the process of using the easy out it snaped in half inside the bolt. WTF do I do now? I could try the reverse drill bit I have but I don't think it will drill into the easy out. Is my only option removing the head and having a machine shop get the thing out for me? I am stumped![/align]
Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: tech question but not a 5.0

ORIGINAL: SPE926

My newest and only mustang is an 84 mustang svo 2.3 turbo, factory intercooled etc. Ok I did my bob's log swap and then had a bad leak from the manifold to turbo flange, took the whole assembly (log and turbo) off the car removed the turbo, new gasket w some high temp copper silicon for extra sealing and reapplied the turbo. Today I was reinstalling the whole thing when all of a sudden on of my new manifold bolts just snaps in half! I tried to use vise grips on the small amount that was sticking out but couldn't get enough material to grab, so I then tried to drill out the bolt and use an easy out and in the process of using the easy out it snaped in half inside the bolt. WTF do I do now? I could try the reverse drill bit I have but I don't think it will drill into the easy out. Is my only option removing the head and having a machine shop get the thing out for me? I am stumped![/align]
[sm=WTFsgign.gif]did my bob's log swap ?????? anyway, try using a die grinder with a pointy tipped bit to grind it out but be care full not to damage the head while doing it......sometimes with a welding tip on a tourch when the same has happened to me a nail punch repeatedly tapped in on the sides of the broken piece may loosen it up
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 PM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

what i found that works sometimes is using bits for glass /ceramic. but be carefull, they are pretty easy to mess up since the the metals tensional strength is so strong that its really brittle. carbide might work to im not sure
Old 11-15-2007, 02:27 PM
SPE926
3rd Gear Member

A Bob's Log is an aftermarket custom made turbo manifold that replaces the stock factory log style manifold.

So no other ideas? I am having a welder look at it tomorrow to see if I can't weld a nut onto the peice sticking out of the head and then get it out with a socket wrench
ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: SPE926

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]did my bob's log swap ?????? anyway, try using a die grinder with a pointy tipped bit to grind it out but be care full not to damage the head while doing it......sometimes with a welding tip on a tourch when the same has happened to me a nail punch repeatedly tapped in on the sides of the broken piece may loosen it up
Old 11-18-2007, 12:14 AM
1fstlx
1st Gear Member

that there would be ur best bet. welding a nut on it will probably work but be careful. if the bolt snapped once........... im a mechanic and have seen many a broken bolts esp. in exhaust and haveused that method to get them out. its just seized in the aluminum head. may i recommend that if u do get it out, use anti seize on all the bolts. this will prevent it from happening later. i dont know what to say about the easy out, ive never broken one.