5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

MGW or Steeda Tri-Ax

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:14 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Default MGW or Steeda Tri-Ax

Looks like I narrowed it down to the MGW or Steeda Tri-Ax...I can pick up the Steeda for about $150 shipped...any reason to spend the extra $40 or so to get the MGW?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW or Steeda Tri-Ax

I hear great things about the MGW, thats the one i'm deff. getting when the time comes.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:19 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

I have the Tri-Ax and love it, so I would vote on that. Then again I've never used an MGW. People are just going to tell you to go with what they have[8D]
Old 11-19-2007, 04:42 PM
elite130
2nd Gear Member

MGW

Coming from a guy who has experienced both, definitley go MGW. I had the MGW on my '02 GT and my brother has the Steeda Tri-Ax on his '03 and the MGW is definitley the better shifter. It is a very solid piece,muchquieter and isn't near as notchy as the Tri-Ax. Tri-Ax was nice when it was first new, but after 15k miles, the springs got really loose and it got really loud. In 5th gear it just humms, so loud it is annoying. The throw is a little bit shorter with the Tri-Ax, but nothing to make a big deal about.

MGW FTW!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:55 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

I have heard people say the Steeda is loud...not sure what that means either
Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 PM
The Whistler

MGW... I have the TriAx and cant wait to install the MGW. The Steeda is very noisy with transmission wine. Several friends of mine have the MGW and they are quiet and smooth. You will love it.
Good Luck...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Where are you getting the tri-ax from for 150 shipped? Is it new?

My buddy had the tri-ax in his car fortwo years before he sold it, no problems. I drove it many times and loved it. That's what is going in my car for Christmas. I have read on here that people say the shifter is loud. I have had no problems with that in my experiences, but obviously there are ways to go around it with those gasket sets etc. Also as far as loud (come on!)..depends on your application. Windows down, two chamber flows, O/R H-pipe, shifter noise is probably not going to have the biggest voice compared to those things. It's smooth shifting, positive stops, finds 3rd,just feels nice to me.

I haven't tried the MGW, but maybe one day. Takea leap of faith and let us know your opinion. Good luck...
Old 11-19-2007, 06:56 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Whistler

The Steeda is very noisy with transmission wine.
Noisy shifting ... I can see that maybe. Transmission whine caused by a shifter ... how is that possible? FWIW, I would describe the factory, Hurst and Steeda (the three I have experience with) as 'notchy' sounding while shifting, but have not noticed any difference in sound tone while driving as a result of any particular shifter.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 PM
The Whistler

Gear wine from the trans is amplified through the handle. The MGW does not have this noise...
Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Whistler

Gear wine from the trans is amplified through the handle. The MGW does not have this noise...
I've always wondered what that was! I guess go MGW? This extra noise isn't something to make me switch though. I deal with it, it's no biggie since my dumps pretty much cover that extra tranny noise unless I have the windows up. Just FYI, that noise isn't constant so don't think you will hear it 100% of the time. I only hear it if I am down shifting to slow down, or am running 5th gear at ~1500rpm for cruising

Quick Reply: MGW or Steeda Tri-Ax