5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Max MPG Ford Fox Mustang V8 5.0 better gas miliage!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: $4 gas? HELP Design fuel efficient hot rod ford engine

ORIGINAL: Hamutoff

Even if not, the prices are still high and will climb.
sorry sounds like a complaint to me

One reason late model cars have such good mileage is
using sophisticated and precise EFI fuel and timing managment
that allows you to use high compression and aggressive timing curves

You could install an AEM computer with crank trigger and coil packs
for a distributorless 21st century ignition system like I'm just finishing up.
While increasing engine compression and timing curves to the maximum
Old 11-26-2007, 02:21 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

^ thats sexy right there.

im gonna throw a +1 for 289's out there
Old 11-26-2007, 02:25 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

It's not the cubes for sure.

Nissan's getting 300hp out of 3.5L V6's
using High compression, High rpms, aggressive timing and very precise timing control.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

observation is not equal to complaint

com•plaint
• An expression of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment.

r.barn
Americans have no idea how good we have it with cheap fuel and food costs
Seems like that IS a complaint, also Sounds like you say you not an American?
So do you live in USA? If so are you an illegal immigrant, that would explain your confusion over words. Sorry to toss your own words back at you I am honestly not trying to be an a-hole, it just seems that you are incorrectly angry at me for some reason - after all I am posting a thread on how to use LESS gas and you're kind of calling me a brainlessly consuming, ignorant arrogant uninformed American, just alike ALL Americans are. That’s kind of an ignorant arrogant statement an uneducated illegal immigrant might make.

Without Anger
Matt

Thanks for the idea for the ignition upgrade. That is a beautiful looking setup. How much did it cost you and what parts/kits did you utilitize? Would parts or the entire kit be 50 (read: Calif) state legal?

Old 11-26-2007, 02:40 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Double Post
Old 11-26-2007, 02:43 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

You are not ever going to get great milage with your 5.0. Even new V8 sports cars get poor milage. An '08 GT really doesn't get much better milage then a EFI 5.0. Why not stay true ford blue and save money at the pump by getting a used Focus or if you want alittle more fun how about an SVT Focus.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:12 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Honestly, if you want mileage and power, built a street car for power, and drive a Civic or something for mileage. You can get a performance vehicle to get decent mileage FOR WHAT IT IS, but it's never going to be a high mileage car. If you can, ride a bike. My sister does that, has some canvas bags for groceries, and rides her bicycle to the store to shop, about 3-3.5mi 1 way.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

I believe ethanol is more corrosive than regular gas... so you'd have to change just about everything that it comes in contact with that will rot away (plastic/rubber)... but you can run higher compression with it, since it's octane rating is higher.

I THINK. i'm not 100% sure about all that. so before you take my word go look it up. lol
Old 11-26-2007, 03:28 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i still say nitrous
Old 11-26-2007, 03:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Hamutoff

observation is not equal to complaint

com•plaint
• An expression of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment.

r.barn
Americans have no idea how good we have it with cheap fuel and food costs
Seems like that IS a complaint, also Sounds like you say you not an American?
So do you live in USA? If so are you an illegal immigrant, that would explain your confusion over words. Sorry to toss your own words back at you I am honestly not trying to be an a-hole, it just seems that you are incorrectly angry at me for some reason - after all I am posting a thread on how to use LESS gas and you're kind of calling me a brainlessly consuming, ignorant arrogant uninformed American, just alike ALL Americans are. That’s kind of an ignorant arrogant statement an uneducated illegal immigrant might make.

Without Anger
Matt

Thanks for the idea for the ignition upgrade. That is a beautiful looking setup. How much did it cost you and what parts/kits did you utilitize? Would parts or the entire kit be 50 (read: Calif) state legal?

here in the east we really don't give a rats ace about thatat least in some states!!......like where I liveno emissions FTW.......Cali is one of the most over regulated states in the country and it sure does make modding your toys tough or at least you have to put on your thinking cap and look at getting your 500 hp build in a whole different light.......oh a FYI if us americans had of put more thought and effort into designing fuel efficient vehicles then I would have more choice than hondas or vw's but seems how back in the 60 and 70's were were more concerned with big v-8 gas guzzling machinesour fuel efficient minds are only now being shaped like the europeans have been for the last 20 to 30 years since they've been accustomed to deal with the 7-10 dollar a gallon gas prices......[&:].....and I too enjoy driving my mustang however with a 40 mile commute one way each day total of 80......It really isn't cost effective for me to do such or smart....because at the end of the day I would like to keep sleeping in my bed in my house...not end up in the back seat of my car because I'd rather support a hobby

Quick Reply: Max MPG Ford Fox Mustang V8 5.0 better gas miliage!