5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

HUGE PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 AM
21xmustang
1st Gear Member

Default HUGE PROBLEMS

so i finally got my motor installed in the 86, got it cranked up ran it a quarter mile down the road just cruising speed, had no problems other than timing being off so i started to work on it last night got the timing light hooked up, went to start it up. thats were the problems started. i know its not the starter because its enguaging, when i bump it the belt (pully system tenses up like its trying to spin over but its almost like the motor is locked up or something. pulled dip stick fresh, new oil no water, and its realy got me puzzled, not to mention pissed because the car cranked up fine and ran fine(other than timing) the other night. anny insight ideas help would be greatly app. thanks guys
Old 11-28-2007, 09:25 AM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HUGE PROBLEMS

pull a plug maybe. try and turn it over by hand.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

If battery is weak, starter will try to turn over, but
wont have the amps to produce enough torque.

Try replacing battery, or charging it over night and trying with charger still hooked up.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 AM
21xmustang
1st Gear Member

its a brand new battery, just perchased last week, high cold cranking amps, and i tried to turn over by hand but it was too tightand i didnt want to break off the bolt, i have an addiction to ringing off bolts i think my arms are set on 10,000 ft pnds
Old 11-28-2007, 04:22 PM
21xmustang
1st Gear Member

no-one has any ideas for me or what to do to fix this?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:27 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 21xmustang

no-one has any ideas for me or what to do to fix this?
Are you sure the battery is fully charged...try jumping it with another car and see if the car turns over...if that does not work...you might have to take the starter out and see if it somehow jammed the fly wheel etc....
Old 11-28-2007, 04:29 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

I'd do what blk40th said. I'd pull all the plugs out, and then try to turn it over by hand. If the car has good compression it will hardly turn over with all the plugs in. And your starter might just be getting stuck in between the teeth of the flywheel. I've had that happen before.
I'd definately see if it turns over without the spark plugs in it first.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 AM
21xmustang
1st Gear Member

yeah i think ill try to do this tonight, pullin the plugs out, the only other thing i could even think of was maybe the power steering pump locked up and is restricting the motor from spinning over. because i just bypassed it when i put the motor in.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 AM
blue66mustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 21xmustang

yeah i think ill try to do this tonight, pullin the plugs out, the only other thing i could even think of was maybe the power steering pump locked up and is restricting the motor from spinning over. because i just bypassed it when i put the motor in.
Bypassed like meaning ...it flows back into itself ???
I'm surprised that it didnt just foam out considering your dumping 1000 + psi right back into it.
Is there oil in thepump ?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:35 PM
21xmustang
1st Gear Member

sorry let me clear up, the rack hoses are doubled back on eachother and there are no lines runing from the pump to the rack, and i just took the line off the pump and drained it. pretty much its just dummied up on the bracket for the serp belt guide

Quick Reply: HUGE PROBLEMS