5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1992 LX needs some power mods/pics and vid/updated as work proceeds

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
0to300

Default 1992 LX needs some power mods/pics and vid/updated as work proceeds

Hey guys
Brand new to this board.
My '92 has 110,000 km on it and has been pampered,and is a tight solid ride.I bought it near new.It has never had any hits or damage.
The factory exhaust has just expired,and it is geting a cat back Magnaflow system.
The car is completely stock,but I am wishing to upgrade a few things.Of course I am on a budget (other hobbies) so it will get parts as time goes along.

Should I change the throttle body and upgrade airfilter?
My diff has never been serviced,whats a recomended performance procedure?
Also I find my tranny is a bit sticky during fast shifting,change oil/upgrade?
Are computer chips worth it?
I am considering Nitrous in the future,so any add ons should be compatible

I intend the car to be a daily driver type.The car is inincredible,like new shape.I like mad acceleration.I dont use it for track or high speed.
Thanks in advance.
Here is a vid link of the car just before it goes up on blocks
This video is the factory rusted out mufflers
Video will be updated from time to time
http://media.putfile.com/Mustang-54-12
And a picture of it.Yes the chrome openings are coming off now

[IMG]local://upfiles/85783/45DCF331F09943A6B4C31788B39C3126.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-01-2007, 07:16 PM
5.0LitreSN95
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1992 LX needs some power mods

ORIGINAL: 0to300

Hey guys
Brand new to this board.
My '92 has 110,000 km on it and has been pampered,and is a tight solid ride.I bought it near new.It has never had any hits or damage.
The factory exhaust has just expired,and it is geting a cat back Magnaflow system.
The car is completely stock,but I am wishing to upgrade a few things.Of course I am on a budget (other hobbies) so it will get parts as time goes along.

Should I change the throttle body and upgrade airfilter?
My diff has never been serviced,whats a recomended performance procedure?
Also I find my tranny is a bit sticky during fast shifting,change oil/upgrade?
Are computer chips worth it?
I am considering Nitrous in the future,so any add ons should be compatible

I intend the car to be a daily driver type.I like acceleration.I dont use it for track or high speed.
Thanks in advance.
Remove the air silencer and get a K&N airfilter, don't bother with the TB until you have more work done. No chips are not worth it... period.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:28 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Daily driver + like acceleration = gears. Best bang for the buck change in performance that I made.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:33 PM
68CSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Like Goat said, get gears.A gear swap will make it feel like a different car (3.73s are good for all around performance). Ive heard nothing but bad things about chips for 5.0s.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:43 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

If youre not driving fast or on a track why would you be considering nitrous?

What tranny is in the car- AOD or T5?

Pick a budget and goal for the car. Heads/cam/intake is a good place to start with performance modifications.
For a low budget upgrade you can pull GT40 heads and a GT40 intake off an Explorer.

For a bigger budget you can get a good set of aftermarket heads and an intake.

For either setup pick a good cam. Cams cost about the same regardless of the setup.

You could get everything all in one kit for about $2500- the Trickflow setup or Holley setup.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
0to300

Yeah the nitrous thing..is it a good low end acceleration tool, or high speed kick?
I may skip that eventually.
I love the car,and can handle it to its limits.Many times at agressive driving the car revolted,ran out of power and handlingand has bad brakes.The limits are low,compared to a performance German/Japsedan or sports car.Its not really a daily driver,I rarely drive it,but enjoy it,becauseI drive real mountain4x4's and gutless other junk for work and play.Once in the Stang again,it seems like supercar,but after a few hours,I get relaxed and almost bored with it.
The car is limited,but I am not here to put the car to shame.The car is fun and cool,and I'd like some help to make the car better all around,instead of turning it into some loud unmanagable monster with bad mismatched performance parts.

For parts,I'd like bolt on stuff,without getting into the internals of the engine.I'd have to farm all that work out,asI am too busy.I dont like this thing in other peoples hands.Its been cursed everytime someone else works on it [&:]
A supercharger sounds like a good idea,butI dont know what other mods and cost will occur to do it properly with reliabilty.If the motor goes,because of a bad set up,I'd probably walk away from the car..

The tranny?I dont know.. 5 speed thatI really like,but is not as quick and smooth as it could be.I looked at the Stang Tri ax shifter,is it an as advertised item? Sounds like what I need...In the vid the shifts seem ok,but I was lucky,I have missed many 2-3's.Was there only one 5 speed available? Is it tough?

Gears? 3:73's
For some reason,I though it had that set from factory?The gear ratio seems adequate,but could be loweredI guess.What are they 3:55's?
The brakes are crap,I am keeping the stock 5 spokes,and have my eye on a set of Proslot and Hawk kit,unless someone has better ideas.

Sorry I really dont know much about the options,I've always liked it out of the box,but now perhaps its time for some quality preformance upgrades,while keeping the car user friendly and fun.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:00 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Your car probably has 3.08 gears. 2.73's and 3.08's were what came stock.
You have a T5 tranny- its the only 5 speed that was available.
Steeda makes the Tri-Ax shifter youre talking about.

As for brakes the factory setup is horrible. To fix that on my car I did a 5 lug swap using '94 Mustang spindles and brakes in the front. I just changed axles and kept the rear drum setup.
It stops alot better now.
Of course that swap means changing wheels but now there are companies making 5 lug Pony wheels (same as what you have now but with 5 lugs).

The car sounds good.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:28 PM
0to300

Dang,3:08's,thats tall I guess.My revs in 5th at 60 mph/100 kmhare about 2000 or less,make sense?
3:73 is still ok on the open road? I can get away with cruising at 80 mphmost of the time,just dont want the motor singing over 3000 very much.
I drove a real beater 5.0 awhile ago.The shift was soo smooth and the shift was much earlier than mine,but was real fun around the block.He just got the car and had no clues on mods done.I asume it was geared and maybe had a good shifter.

The video clip is my car with the broken factory exhaust,no mods,bone stock almost 16 years old,it does sound OK though,but it needs some lovin' now.

Thanks for the inputs so far.
I am considering all replies and thoughts.This project will be fun and rewarding I am sure.I will keep the vid file rolling along with pics as things progress.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 PM
0to300

I am a 20+ year Journeyman in body and paint.
I refinsished the car meticulously in 1996 after some Punks ripped it off to steal the wheels.The body and paint is by far superiour to the factory finish or anyone elses recent work around my area.The rubber mouldings are being replaced as they are showing weathering.The car is a near 10,but now is the time I need to keep up with it,before it gets away on me.I see so many (trying) restoring a mess,I want to stay on top of mine and upgrade as things fail and age.
The car is not and will not be 4 sale.Around here it may fetch 12000 US,which is prime money,but what can I buy and drive turn key,near flawlessand be proud of,for that kind of money??
Old 12-01-2007, 09:44 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ok well first off take thoes god awful chrome flares off ur wheel wells. it looks like a granny car.

but as for for performance this is the route i am going. i purchased mine completely stock aswell.

get shorty headers (you NEED them if you still have the stockers) the stock ones are extreemly restrictive. then think about and hpipe (deeper sound) or xpipe (more raspy) either off road or atleast w/ high flow cats. (i have both) then do gears. 3.73s are really good for a 5 speed 65mph is about 2100rpm. if you have a t-5 ur stock gears are most likey a 2.73 the autos generally had the 3.08s. the 5spd could have been specially orderedw/ 3.08 tho.

after that go w/ a larger MAF 73-76mm should be good. as for TB go 65mm. if you plan on dropping a large amount of money on a good h/c/i then go 70mm. after that i would look into suspension. i plan on getting the eibach prokit (1.3"front and 1"rear drop), UPR upper and lower control arms and new shocks and struts all around. from the pics it seems you have stock suspension cuz it kinda looks like a truck.. lol oh and get a short throw shifter.

you should be pretty set w/ that for a DD. and all of thoes is relativley cheapall of that would cost you about $1500 w/o installation but all of it is pretty easy except the gears which can be tricky if uve never don them b4. all except the suspension mods are pretty basic things that you would need if ur gonna do an h/c/i swap anyways

im currently saving for the suspension, MAF and TB. hopefully by this summer they will all be in

so good luck

Quick Reply: 1992 LX needs some power mods/pics and vid/updated as work proceeds