5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

newb, with newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 AM
grnsleeper
1st Gear Member

Default newb, with newb questions

ok i have a 91 notch that i picked up for cheap. i am doing a cheap build
i picked up a "supposed" 306. will check next weekend when i tear the motor down.
i picked up a set of gt40p heads this weekend and a ported cobra lower with a downs upper. i was thinking about having thumper port the heads and i will have them milled down to bump up the compression to around 10-10.5

i was thinking of using an accufab throttle body any particle size recommendation?
what headers work with the p heads? i would prefer longtubes
any gear recommendations?
cam recommendations for my mild set up?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:20 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: newb, with newb questions

match the throttle body to the opening of your intake...as for headers I believe you'll have to purchase some p- specific style conversion header which can be quite expensive??..... as for rear gears I assume you mean??..3.73's are all around good choice if it's a 5 speed.....as for cam..?? there are alot of opinions out there but if you have to go through emissions...pick one like a E-cam with a C.A.R.B number so you know it'll go through!! and with any cam change you'll need to upgrade springs retainers and locks..to match cam.....as for the heads if you're gonna spend that ..much money..I'd put it towards a good set of aluminum heads. but if your gonna uses p heads then they don't really flow anymore efficient above .500 lift so keep the cam under that but if you're gonna have them ported to the max that'll change it a little as to cam choices but the whole emissions thing will limit you in that area
Old 12-05-2007, 09:12 AM
grnsleeper
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

match the throttle body to the opening of your intake...as for headers I believe you'll have to purchase some p- specific style conversion header which can be quite expensive??..... as for rear gears I assume you mean??..3.73's are all around good choice if it's a 5 speed.....as for cam..?? there are alot of opinions out there but if you have to go through emissions...pick one like a E-cam with a C.A.R.B number so you know it'll go through!! and with any cam change you'll need to upgrade springs retainers and locks..to match cam.....as for the heads if you're gonna spend that ..much money..I'd put it towards a good set of aluminum heads. but if your gonna uses p heads then they don't really flow anymore efficient above .500 lift so keep the cam under that but if you're gonna have them ported to the max that'll change it a little as to cam choices but the whole emissions thing will limit you in that area
any particular brand on the headers? emissions isnt an issues for the cam any suggestion?
i got the heads for cheap thats why i was considerign porting them. the car is 5spd i was thinking either 4.10s or 4.30s
Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 AM
00limited7
2nd Gear Member

FRPP headers will fit the "P" heads.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

mac makes a set of shorties and you can also try the b303 cam i run it in my 306. i like it it makes nice power. also i just put 373's in my car, by far awsome.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

I picked up my mac "p" headers for 180 brandnew on ebay.....Not a bad deal.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 AM
grnsleeper
1st Gear Member

ok if i dont have them ported and just bolt them on with above set up what kind of numbers can i expect to see with 10-10.5 cr

also would 4.10s or 4.30's be better for it?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:11 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

4.10s would probably be good for that, i just put 4.30's in my fox (auto) by far the best mod, it went from not even spinning the tires, to chirping 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 shift.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:47 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

tfs stg 1 maybe?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:35 PM
grnsleeper
1st Gear Member

any more cam recommendations? anyone know anything about the comp cams XE

Quick Reply: newb, with newb questions