5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1983 Mustang GL 5.0 hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM
83FoxStang

Default 1983 Mustang GL 5.0 hatchback

I'm new and have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I also hope I'm posting this in the right place.
I have a 1983 Mustang GL. from what I've been told it was originally a 4 banger, which I believe because of the 4 lug rear axle. I bought it a few months ago from a dealership near by my house and the guy that sold it to the dealership found me at work one day and told me that the current 5.0 that is in it has been recently rebuilt, and had about 100 miles on it when he brought it in to sell it.
when I got the car it ran like crap, we diagnosed the problem down to the carb and I ended up buying a new Holley 4bl which is all I could afford to get for it. anyway it gets me to and from work and school for now with the occasional backfire. I think the timing may be off and the carb might not be set right , but i'm far from being an expert to really know what I have to do to get it running right, as it is it will still smoke the tires. thats the history of the car from the time that I've owned it, my question is about the option and year of the car, I hav'nt been able to get any info on it, I have found a couple 83 GL convertables and a notchback, but mines a hatch and not a convertable, I'm lost as to how popular my car was, and why I can't find another like it. if anyone has any info on my car please let me know, it would be appreciated. thanx
Old 12-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1983 Mustang GL 5.0 hatchback

I think '83 or '84was the last year of using the L, and GLbadge. I think L is the base modle 4banger, with little or no options. My L has only power stearing,optional Pioneer tape deck, and speakers which are gone/shot[:@]. Thats it, no PB, PW,seats are cloth,and no arm rest/console.After 1983-'84 I think they just used LX, and GT........

I searched on here as I was finishing this lol... https://mustangforums.com/timeline/1984-ford-mustang/....... FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:18 PM
83FoxStang

that helps a bit, so my gl just means that it came with my leather seats, which isn't much of an option if you ask me....those are cold to sit on right now, and burn you in the summer[:@]I think i'd rather have cloth...lol
Old 12-06-2007, 01:34 PM
83FoxStang

My 1983 GL Needs work huh?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I love the plad cloth in my '83! Everyone hates em', but they look right retro! Along with the tiki girl on the dash, 14" American Racing wheelsand white letters!!!lol All I need is some White Snake on the radio, and a mullet.... lol. Keep those GL decals on er', andNO "5.0" on the fenders. Keep people in the dark, and you'll supprise some of em' who think it has to say 5.0 toperform like a5.0lol.

DUDE!!!!! NO WINGS ROCK!!! NICE PIC!<<<<<<EDIT
Old 12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 83FoxStang

I'm new and have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I also hope I'm posting this in the right place.
I have a 1983 Mustang GL. from what I've been told it was originally a 4 banger, which I believe because of the 4 lug rear axle. I bought it a few months ago from a dealership near by my house and the guy that sold it to the dealership found me at work one day and told me that the current 5.0 that is in it has been recently rebuilt, and had about 100 miles on it when he brought it in to sell it.
when I got the car it ran like crap, we diagnosed the problem down to the carb and I ended up buying a new Holley 4bl which is all I could afford to get for it. anyway it gets me to and from work and school for now with the occasional backfire. I think the timing may be off and the carb might not be set right , but i'm far from being an expert to really know what I have to do to get it running right, as it is it will still smoke the tires. thats the history of the car from the time that I've owned it, my question is about the option and year of the car, I hav'nt been able to get any info on it, I have found a couple 83 GL convertables and a notchback, but mines a hatch and not a convertable, I'm lost as to how popular my car was, and why I can't find another like it. if anyone has any info on my car please let me know, it would be appreciated. thanx
All fox body's are 4 lug.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:55 PM
mighty90
2nd Gear Member

If your backfiring, changing to premium gas may help along with a timing adjustment. A 5.0 doesn't run very well on 80 something octane. Most 79-93 mustangs came with four lug axles. The only one I know of having five lug is the 1993 Cobra
Old 12-06-2007, 04:02 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

try foureyedpride.com/forums

these guys know 79-86 mustang like they were their own children lol
Old 12-06-2007, 07:22 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

yes the backfireing is a definate timing issue , does the distributor have vacum advance ? and if it does did you check to see if the holley carb was pulling any vacum through the metering blocks ? they are know to plug off and it won't let the distributor advance as it should and cause a miss fire hince the back fire ,far as setting the timing an easy way to do it is to take the distributor hold down barely loose and start the car and with the car running and turn it and listen to the engine if it starts to sound like it is going to die turn it the oposite way until it sounds good and idles good . shut it off and restart it , if it drags just barely bump the distibutor back and try it again , keep doing this untill it doesn't drag , it should be fairly close to being in time .
Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 PM
83FoxStang

wow, thanx for the info guys. as much as I wish I knew more about my car and it's engine, sadly I don't. though I'm only eighteen and that leaves a lot of time to learn I guess. as for the four lug rearend, I picked that up from a fox body resto mag I had and I guess that they were full of crap. and for having a timing advance on the distributor I would have to take it to my retired mechanic step dad, because I have no Idea. though I wish very much that I did, I have had a love for mustangs as long as I can remember but have just recently got my hands on one to start learning. anyway thank you very much for the info and I plan on staying on here for a while so I know I'll have more questions.

Quick Reply: 1983 Mustang GL 5.0 hatchback