5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

wtf im fed up with this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:11 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: wtf im fed up with this car

21X, sounds like you are in the market for som main/rod bearings.
Thats really about the only thing it could be......
Old 12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

tinman and mjr46 are right when the bareings are cold they are constricted and allowing the pump to build pressure as they warm up they relax and thus the drop in pressure
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

I can't understand why you would tear the engine down to replace all the gaskets and not put a quick hone job on the cylinders and throw some new rings and bearings in it while you had it apart. I cringe everytime I read about one of these "half" rebuilds. It's such a waste of time to tear an engine down and only replace SOME of the parts. Now with your oil pressure problem... it sounds like you get to tear it all down again and do what you should've done the first go around. And BTW... all those gaskets you replaced... well, they won't be any good to re-use now too. Sorry you're fed up with your car, but maybe you should be fed up with yourself instead of the poor car. After all, it's only as good as the work you put in to it.

EDIT: The above commentwasn't meant to sound as bad as it does... you may have money constraints or lack of time or no access to a garage.I really do hope you get it fixed. And the comment below by 5.0stanger about trying a thicker oil may buy you some time. Can't hurt.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:27 PM
phalcone
1st Gear Member

sorry man they are right .. sounds like your main bearings.. i bet if you drive it its noisy as hell .... you should check out some of the pics in capri debris posts there are fairly accurate ways to measure the space between your main caps & crank.. if you measure it up & all is good you can put some bearings in it ... or just do a rebuild kit .. its all work ... no matter how you cut it .. or maybe the guy who sold it to ya can hook ya up with something else? i dont know ... are ya sure you put it back together right? no matter what when you hear a knock in your engine ....its the sound of damage . its never good ... that slight knock of ping you hear when your timing is off ... thats called detonation ... its your pistons rattling in the bore.. never a good thing.. well hope you get it right .. be patient .. walk away for a while if you have to ...
Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

I can't understand why you would tear the engine down to replace all the gaskets and not put a quick hone job on the cylinders and throw some new rings and bearings in it while you had it apart. I cringe everytime I read about one of these "half" rebuilds. It's such a waste of time to tear an engine down and only replace SOME of the parts. Now with your oil pressure problem... it sounds like you get to tear it all down again and do what you should've done the first go around. And BTW... all those gaskets you replaced... well, they won't be any good to re-use now too. Sorry you're fed up with your car, but maybe you should be fed up with yourself instead of the poor car. After all, it's only as good as the work you put in to it.
That is so true.Keeps me from doing things some times......example: I put on a new balancer, figure I should put in a new seal, and while I have the cover off, I might as well replace the water pump since it is off, thenI should put in a new chain and gear set.this is where I stoped, but wanted to do this...And hell while I am at it I should do a cam swap, new lifters, but I should yank off the heads to check for valve to piston clearance.....so on and so on....

I just like to do things right the first time and not do things more than once if I don't have too. No offence to the OP, but I guess you should have just taken it a step or 2 further. Also, here is just a thought, try running a thicker oil and see if it helps...can't hurt now.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 AM
21xmustang
1st Gear Member

well cosidering the fact that this was my first time having a motor apart and i put the ****ing thing together all by myself without truely having the knawledge to do it. and the thing came to me in a box of a million pieces. realy the whole reason i bought the car is so that i could experience building one because i had never done it and always wanted too, you learn from mistakes, thats what makes you do it better the next time, so i guess i will pull the motor back out and replace bearings in it, is there anny thing else i would need to replace while im in there, im not tryin to stroke it or bore it i just want a good runing stock motor? and i know this is bad news for me but i thank all of you for the input and help
Old 12-12-2007, 08:57 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

deff get thicker oil, i have a friend with a 99 gt that has the same issue 200k on the clock and has a knock when engine is warm. he put some thiiiiiiiick oil in it and shes been running with it for about 20k miles but he doesnt beat on it, hes trying to wait until he gets some money together to pay me for a rebuild.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 AM
21xmustang
1st Gear Member

well if im runnin 10w40 valvoline senthetic blend what should i change too
Old 12-12-2007, 10:16 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 21xmustang

well if im runnin 10w40 valvoline senthetic blend what should i change too
Castrol 20-50 and maybe even an anti-smoke additive... that will thicken it some more. Don't get it too thick or the oil pump shaft could break when you start it on a very cold morning.

If/When you tear it apart again... a quick hone to the cylinders, new rings, bearings, oil pump, seals and gaskets at the very least. If your budget allows... an HCI like Trick Flow wouldn't be a bad upgrade. That's what I did.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 AM
21xmustang
1st Gear Member

i realy feel as if the motor oil will just waist my time and money, seeing as this is a playtoy and not dd, i think i might opt out on the oil change, it seems as if it will just prolong the problem, i wonder if it would be better to buy an engine rebuild kit, or to get everything seprate and go from there

Quick Reply: wtf im fed up with this car