5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Mustang experience goin bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 05:07 PM
JerSel
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang experience goin bad

ok well i haven't even recieved my car yet and its screwin up. my bro is on his way home right now from indiana where he picked up the car from an old friend. he pulled into a truck stop where some guy told him he was draggin the rear tires (its on a car dolly). my bro started the car and tried to put it into gear and nothing would happen. the tranny is freshly rebuilt with less than 1K miles on it. i dont know what would cause this. anyone have any ideas.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:20 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang experience goin bad

what do you mean dragging the rear tires

and the only ting i could think of is the shift linkage is bad
Old 12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
JerSel
1st Gear Member

i mean the rear tires aren't moving. my bro said he looked at it on the road about 15 min before he pulled into that stop and the tires were spinnin. he pulled the driveshaft and its rollin now and i know he should have done that before he left but he doesnt know about cars and i didnt tell him to. what does this mean about my tranny? i hope its not blown. i got into a little fender bender with my 95 grand cherokee and at first it would go into gear, but when i picked it up from the impound yard it was fine and i haven't had any problems sense.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

What I would do is unbolt the driveshaft from the rear end at the u-joint and tie up the driveshaft. If the tires are still dragging, then it will be something in the differential/axles/brakes, one of those. But it sounds like it somehow possibly slipped into gear while towing it, and if it did go into a lower gear then the tires would definitely be dragging. I have towed both rear and front wheel drive vehicles, and with the rear drive vehicles using a tow dolly on the front tires, I would always disconnect the driveshaft whether it was an automatic tranny or standard. It only takes a few minutes and it gives you peace of mind that nothing within the drive train, (driveshaft forward), would cause any problems. Hope this helps.
Tell your brother to disconnect the driveshaft from the differential and tie up the driveshaft.

Casper
Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, I got to involved in two converstations while typing and talking. I didn't read the whole thread. I found that you had already done what I suggested. I hope that everything is going well with you mustang now. good luck and have fun.

Casper
Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

How far did he pull it with the drive shaft still hooked up? I'll bet he toasted the tranny or torque converter. Think about it. The rear wheels are going around... turning the driveshaft and it's connected to the output shaft of the tranny, so all the tranny guts are spinning. BUT the torque converter isn't turning because the engine is off, so there's not any tranny fluid being pumped... the converterIS the pump. Tranny turning with no lubrication = AOD is now a boat anchor. I might be wrong, but someone with more knowledge about AOD's will have to chime in to either agree or disagree with me. This time, I really hope I'm wrong.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:47 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

How far did he pull it with the drive shaft still hooked up? I'll bet he toasted the tranny or torque converter. Think about it. The rear wheels are going around... turning the driveshaft and it's connected to the output shaft of the tranny, so all the tranny guts are spinning. BUT the torque converter isn't turning because the engine is off, so there's not any tranny fluid being pumped... the converterIS the pump. Tranny turning with no lubrication = AOD is now a boat anchor. I might be wrong, but someone with more knowledge about AOD's will have to chime in to either agree or disagree with me. This time, I really hope I'm wrong.
+1 you ALWAYS disconnect the driveshaft on an auto car when towing like that
Old 12-16-2007, 05:55 PM
JerSel
1st Gear Member

yes i know this, i thought my bro did too but i was wrong now im screwed. and yes im afraid you are right mr. capri, i wanted to put a manual valve body in the bastard anyway. i guess nows the time to get that part of the car done.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:33 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

they are right it is fried i would start looking for a trans , or convert it to 5-speed
Old 12-16-2007, 06:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

your tranny is toast.. on an auto equiped car for towing unless otherwise stated in the onwers manual you need to remove the driveshaft because the pu,p on yout car for the tranny is turned by the torque convertor which is connected to the flexplate that rotates with the engine....good possibility you'll need to redo tranny again or put in a new one

Quick Reply: Mustang experience goin bad