5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Another Quick Question!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Nvarma
1st Gear Member

Default Another Quick Question!!

I have stated before my car does not run and I am pretty sure it is an electrical problem. When I tried to start it I heard this loud noise coming from this thing I don't know what it is, but can it hold my car back from starting? It is on the right sid of the engine bay and the big red wire coming out goes directly to my battery. Thank You for reading. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Quick Quetion

that's the starter selonoid...is the battery fully charged and all connections clean and free of corrosion and tight?? if you mean won't start by not cranking then yes the selonoid could keep it from starting if it's bad
Old 12-25-2007, 06:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

do you have atest light handy?? if so here's how to test it

1. put the clamp for the test light to a known good ground and on the opposite leg from the one that goes to the battery... check for power with the test light while someone holds the ignition in the crank position.....if it lights up bright....check all grounds and the wire going down to the starter is the one you just tested if the wire is tight and you have 12 volts all the way to the starter then the starter is bad if you got the above results
2.However if test light di not light then pull the small wire with the little elbow on it and touch the test light to it while holding the key in the crank position..light should light and go out upon releasing the key..if it does then the ignition feed to the starter selonoid is okay and if you got no current on the other side of the selonoid in the crank position then the selonoid is bad.. replace and retest
Old 12-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Nvarma
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I have no battery in my car I was just tryng to jump start it so the "battery" is good so I am now guessing it is the starter selonoid. When I say does not start I do mean it does not crank.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:56 PM
CBurn
2nd Gear Member

need a new starter
Old 12-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Nvarma
1st Gear Member

I will be getting a new starter ASAP. Hopefully after installation she will Roar to life(car has no mufflers haha and the only mufflers I have are galsspacks).
Old 12-25-2007, 09:12 PM
CBurn
2nd Gear Member

sSCHWEEt dude. my dad didnt have mufflers on his 40' coupe with a 351 clev. for awhile. i could hear that thing start all the way down the street. not to mention the CO1 you would breath in everytime you would sit in it and it wasnt moving.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:02 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: CBurn

need a new starter
And you can tell that by what means??? guess??? My guess is you'd be wrong....I suggest you follow the proper technique I mentioned above on how to troubleshoot the problem...why you ask??? so you only buy the part needed that is bad....nothin worse than slappin' parts on you don't need
Old 12-26-2007, 01:04 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Nvarma

I will be getting a new starter ASAP. Hopefully after installation she will Roar to life(car has no mufflers haha and the only mufflers I have are galsspacks).
WHY??? did you follow the instructions I gave you on how to troubleshoot it??or are they not simple enough???[&:]
Old 12-26-2007, 02:06 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

do what mjr said. and even if you dont want to do that buy a new solinoid first. they are much cheaper than a starter and the one you have now looks like its the one that came in the car..

Thanks for the info. I have no battery in my car I was just tryng to jump start it so the "battery" is good so I am now guessing it is the starter selonoid. When I say does not start I do mean it does not crank.
what?! put a good battery in ur car. you cant jump start a car w/ no battery.

Quick Reply: Another Quick Question!!