5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

idle.. still lost (update.. kinda)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:51 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: idle.. still lost

when checked the tps it was .865 cold and .870 warm.. but then i moved it to .995 and the idle raised a lot.. so i put it back down.. it has coolant. prob more than it should.. lol its about half way between cold and hot when its cold.

could it be a bad ACT? is there a way to check? i have no KOEO codes except the 67 neutral safty switch (user error) and KOER is 44/94 Thermactor left and right not operable (prob a clogged connector pipe for smog between heads) and 13 could not control idle durring KOER self-test..
Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 PM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

try putting the tps up to .997-.999 and let it lidle for a bit mine idled high and it dropped gradually and it jus straight out idled nicley try it , but its possible your act my be no good.what kinda intake are you running.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:14 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ok ill try that too. i just ot some dielectric grease that im gonna put in the salt 'n peppa shakers after i clean them again... but my engine is completely stock except exhaust but that doesnt effect anything.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:30 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ok so i just restet my tps . a solid .995 volts (stayed there for a while while i let it idle) i also cleaned out thoes salt n' peppa shakers w/ some electric contact cleaner and then coated everything w/ the dielectric grease. it was kinda warm when started and when i turned up the tps it was idlein at 2k rpm.. but then i shut it off and started it back up and it idled at like 1100. thn after i cleaned the shakers it was idleing at a solid 1000rpm for like 5 min b 4 i shut it off..i havent gotten it to operating temp (fully warm) yet but i have high hopes.. i really dont want to be dissapointed again. if it stayes at 1k rpm when fully warm im gonna reset the base idle and try and get it to 700-800rpm.

i tried once to move the idle screw but i couldnt find an adaquite way to turn the screw since it is just a threaded rod and i didnt want to strip the crap out of it.. and it seemed to be kinda stuck in there. does anyone have any suggestions to get it out w/o screwin the screw up? or should i just vice grip the **** out of it and get a screw w/ a small head on it? i also dont want to snap it off in the aluminum (even tho i do have a die and tap set and i could just take it off drill it out and tap it and use a dif screw.. but i dont want to have to do this)

thanx for the help everyone. and ill let you kno if it stays. at 1000rpm
Old 12-28-2007, 11:20 AM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

my car idles atabout 1000 also thats where my dad set it
Old 12-28-2007, 11:29 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

On my old fuel injected 302 the idle screw had a allen head to adjust with.

edit: You should be able to idle lower than 1k rpm. When i had high idle problem, i took off and tore apart iac and cleaned the heck out of it and that stopped my high idle, but you said you have a new one. I have heard of people getting a plate to mount iac on and also drilling holes in butterfly inside tb to fix this problem. My car idle's about 950 rpm and that is witha 600+ lift cam, so you should be able to idle at least at 800.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:37 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

If this just happened after pulling the upper off, then i would say it has something to do with that. I'm assuming you put the same upper on? I would take it off again and look everything over good including the pvc and vacuum lines going to it. The gasket should still be good unless you coated it with rtv. Best thing to do is just rip all that crappy efi stuffout and go carb, make it look clean in the engine bay, hide all wire's, smooth and fill all hole's, delete the power brakes and go manual,cap heater hoses off, movebatt to backandon and on and on . J/k. I would not have mine like it is if it was driven often. But seriously, i would pull the upper back off and redo it.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

so the gasket should still be good if i pull it off again? its been like 5 months.. haha ive had it idle like this for a while now i guess. im just now wanting to fix it cuz its pissin me off...

ok so now cold it starts at 950 and then when its hot its at like 1100ish

im gonna try and check the hoses b 4 i pull it off again. i hope that the gasket is still fine so i can just put it back on w/ the same one. and yes everything is stock on my motor.

the reason i pulled the intake off was cuz i wanted to manually clean my injectors. i took all of them out cleaned them and put them back in w/ new o-rings.

im thinkin about just takin it to get smoke tested for vac leaks. but ill fix the leaks and what not myself.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:20 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I've reused the upper to lower gasket before with no problem. Not saying you wont tear it some, but just be careful when doing it.