5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Does anybody NOT mod their cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:04 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Does anybody NOT mod their cars?

I didn't really mod mine heavily until last winter and ive had it over 5 years now, first few years i only did small things like cold air and tail lights and was happy with it, which helped to pay it off quick. Now i'm into drag racing more and want to build it and see the changes i make to it.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

i don't mind modding mine as long as i keep it looking as stock as possible.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:09 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bikeboy587

i don't mind modding mine as long as i keep it looking as stock as possible.
That's another thing that I am doing. While I already said before I don't have any major plans aside from some bolt ons and maybe porting the heads (I want to keep the car somewhat original), I plan on keeping the exterior completely stock. I'll even keep the wheels I have now if I can. I may do suspension down the road though so a slightdrop in ride height isn't out of the question.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Restoration FTW!!!

I know its comparing apples to a fruitcake, but you take a classic restored mustang with all the original parts and a mustang of the same year thats modded, the original one will bring in more mula.

I'm completely stock (down to the Motorcraft air filter - well, I got borlas) and a few of us were at a Sonic, and had our hoods open, and some of the fools were shocked to see a stock motor, and they mentioned how long its been scince they've seen a stock one.

I also think it more of a challenge finding restoration parts (NOS) and/or restoring them yourself.

Like for instance - the elusive Motorcraft RS-64 radiator cap - lets just say we have the last few remaining ones in existance . (NOS of course)

Old 01-03-2008, 09:12 PM
green95GT
2nd Gear Member

iplan on modding my stang later but being a highschool senior i don't have the money but i do like having some mods so people can't talk crap to me. so i like to do mods such as exhaust so it sounds mean and some other minor ones like cai, bumb timing stuff like that. just enough so i have the fastest car at the school. it feels good
Old 01-03-2008, 09:18 PM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

I can understand wanting to keep the car stock for resale, but come on, guys. These are mustangs, not Ferraris. These cars are made to be modified by the owners, and all you have to do is take one look at ebay to see that Foxes are not going to be hard to find for a long time.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: QatarStang

I can understand wanting to keep the car stock for resale, but come on, guys. These are mustangs, not Ferraris. These cars are made to be modified by the owners, and all you have to do is take one look at ebay to see that Foxes are not going to be hard to find for a long time.

If it ain't broke...

All the ones on ebay are pretty well trashed, except the ultra low mile ones, but those usually go for money.

Smog laws... you pretty much can't modify nuffum here, if you get pulled over, they can check what you have and can get into some hefty fines if you modify your emmisions. Even get yo' shyt impounded and sent to the ref.

Reliabilty... I think if you have a clean running engine, it will last a very long time.

Besides, in stock form, they are plenty fast (for me at least)
Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 PM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

Tomato and TomAHto.

I plan on modding the **** out of mine when I get it, buts thats just cause I doubt I'll ever voluntarily sell it. If I get another car after it thats just one more excuse to turn it into a full blown race car.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, fellas. Just to clarify, I have nothing against modding. In fact, I often look forward to the day when I can go HCI...and I'll do it too, regardless of any nostalgia I may be clinging to at the time. Moreover, I don't appreciate a stock 5.0 for it's resale value. I'm not very into resale value. I don't even necessarily value original equipment over aftermarket; for example, my CD stereo is much more valuable to me than that AM/FM schoolbus radio that came stock in our cars. And my Flows sound better than the bowels that came stock on my car.

I do, however,appreciate a stock-engined 5.0 for it's engine reliability, as it seems that so many modded cars run into engine issues. But I digress. In a perfect world, I'd just put a full exhaust, intake, maf, and a throttlebody on the thing--you know, to bring out at least all that my E7s have to offer--do a little suspension work, and be done with it. But this is not a perfect world. LS1's prowl these mean streets;but at the same time, CARB regulations cause it to burn when I pee.So I'm conflicted. Anyway, just something I was thinking about. Thanks for all the perspectives.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 AM
sethta

Maybe that's why I don't mod much. LS1's prowl these mean streets too, but I'm the person in the LS1.

Quick Reply: Does anybody NOT mod their cars?