5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Scat or Eagle

Old 01-12-2008, 11:22 PM
nit4gudtime
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Scat or Eagle

Eagle is outta china. Junk in my opinion. Same goes for Scat. When i start building my new engine it'll be a Callies steel crank. They have a excellent reputation plus its steel, meaning it can be fixed unlike a cast crank. By the best parts u can. If you cant afford it just save your money cause you'll save money in the long run. If your gonna build it build it right once. Remember you get what you pay for. Just my two cents. Good luck on whatever you choose to use.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:02 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: nit4gudtime

Eagle is outta china. Junk in my opinion. Same goes for Scat. When i start building my new engine it'll be a Callies steel crank. They have a excellent reputation plus its steel, meaning it can be fixed unlike a cast crank. By the best parts u can. If you cant afford it just save your money cause you'll save money in the long run. If your gonna build it build it right once. Remember you get what you pay for. Just my two cents. Good luck on whatever you choose to use.
not everyone has 4500 to spend on a dart block and forged everything internal and when all said and done you have 12000 to 15000 in a long block .......a decent build can be achieved and stay together with scat, eagle or probe kits........cause not everyones goal is to make 700 to 1000 hp which is when you really need to start using quality tough parts........like me 400 to 450 rwhp is just fine for me...I have no desire to be any faster than a low 11/ high 10 =10.90
Old 01-13-2008, 02:17 AM
BlackFox
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

not everyone has 4500 to spend on a dart block and forged everything internal and when all said and done you have 12000 to 15000 in a long block .......a decent build can be achieved and stay together with scat, eagle or probe kits........cause not everyones goal is to make 700 to 1000 hp which is when you really need to start using quality tough parts........like me 400 to 450 rwhp is just fine for me...I have no desire to be any faster than a low 11/ high 10 =10.90
Pretty much my feelings. Im still going to use the stock block and maybe go Dart Block on the next project car. This is my first real build on a car and me being in the army i dont have a large sum of funds. But.....i would like to get the best quality stuff for what i can afford.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:43 AM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

The man that did the machine work on my engine said he had had lots of trouble balancingScat cast cranks. Scat and Eagle both make good, better, best products. I know people on here don't like DSS but the guy that did my block and rotating assembly prep worksaid it wasgood quality stuff. My friends haveused CHP and theirproducts are nice also.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:08 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Outsourcing to China can be cheaper and still provide a quality product...IF the manufacturer specs out the proper material and QA. The problem is that most companies outsource to China because they can get away with using crap steel from a manufactuering process with poor QA, steel that any American mill would be ashamed to produce. I doubt that either Eagle or Scat uses poor steel. It's not the best either, but like was mentioned, why spend money on a 1,000hp conrod when all you need is one that'll take 500.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:22 AM
BlackFox
1st Gear Member

yeah and like i said this motor will never see over 400hp unless just by accedent. After talkin with Primetime a few times Eagle products sound really good expecially for the money. Any other thoughts would be great though. Still looking for the best price on an Eagle kit.......
Old 01-13-2008, 10:19 AM
nit4gudtime
2nd Gear Member

Well thats my opinion. I have run a eagle rotating assembly before and had major problems with it although i have a buddy thats gotta 80 malibu with a 540 putting 904hp at the flywheel and has a eagle rotating assembly and has had no problems. Thats the bad thing about mass production, not everything that gets built gets hand checked. Thats why i say use a callies crank. I'm not real fimilar with probe but i do know that when i called Tom at AMP performance to check on some prices for my rotating assembly he said the probe stuff wasnt no good but i dont know.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Well thats my opinion. I have run a eagle rotating assembly before and had major problems with it although i have a buddy thats gotta 80 malibu with a 540 putting 904hp at the flywheel and has a eagle rotating assembly and has had no problems. Thats the bad thing about mass production, not everything that gets built gets hand checked. Thats why i say use a callies crank. I'm not real fimilar with probe but i do know that when i called Tom at AMP performance to check on some prices for my rotating assembly he said the probe stuff wasnt no good but i dont know.
well right there is your problem.......and talk to anyone in arizona...I just went there for christmas and went to the track while there..and more people had more bad to say about AMP performance than good.....I was suprised cause I saw amp in all the mags.......and I heard everything from their poor tunes on customers cars to shooty work and come backs on the simplest things...and failure to warranty probs they had caused due to improper craftsmanship........after hearing first hand the issues from amp and the dissatisfaction of many of their past customers..I won't be as quick to accept the do do that comes outta their mouths....and as far as TOM goes and probe kits ..he's plain got no clue or experience dealing with them......it's most likely due to the fact of resentment and bitterness towards the two competitive natures vs the two companies...they have a issue with a blown up motor with a probe kit and blame it on the kit/manufactorer and not their shooty attention/or lack their of while assembling the motor and failure to properly check all clearances......so that's just a heads up on AMP.. and you can find alot on the net about this
Old 01-13-2008, 05:57 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

BTW, AMP of Phoenix, AZ don't even build the motors they use in there own racers, Kieth Kraft does.
That seems to be telling me something........
Old 01-13-2008, 06:04 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

Well I got a full orbe 408 Rotaing assebly and Plan to put down 550 FWHP! I will let you know how it holds up, But never anythig bad!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scat or Eagle