5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

stock mustang or supercharged mustang that needs work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Affini7y

Default stock mustang or supercharged mustang that needs work?

hey guys, idk if you remember but I made a thread earlier about a mustang gt and a contour. Well I've forgotten about the contour, but I've got another mustang to chose from now. So it's between an automatic 1991 mustang gt bone stock with 82,000 original miles for $4200, or a 1989 5 speed with a rebuilt 302 with a t5 and a paxton sn92 supercharger with 5 pounds of boost. It was dynoed at 340 horsepower and 360 foot pounds of torque. Needs some body work, and has lots of other upgrades, the guy wants $3800. The only thing is the supercharger is going to have to be rebuilt, the bearing is making noise apparently. Would it be worth it to buy this one and fix the supercharger? The kid said it would be about $500-$600 to fix. Or would it be better to just get the stock one and pay for all the modifications?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: stock mustang or supercharged mustang that needs work?

Personally, I would buy the unmolested one. Glad you reconsidered that Contour choice!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Personally, I would buy the unmolested one. Glad you reconsidered that Contour choice!
+1, better to go with something that hasnt been abused, you'll thank yourself later down the road...

Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

I would buy the stocker if I were you
Old 01-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Affini7y

Alright, I guess I'll go with that then. Thanks guys. The body and everything's in better condition too on the stock one. I'm probably gonna go look at it soon, any particular questions I should ask?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:25 AM
DrmZero
2nd Gear Member

definatley go stock... not only do you know it hasnt been abused as bad, but its a lot more fun to see what gains YOU can get out of it will a little elbow grease.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:57 AM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

buy the stock one, build it the way you want to, even tho my car only had a couple bolt ons when i bought it i ended up re-doing almost everything the guy did to the motor (who puts on headers and leaves the stock catback! for example)
Old 01-12-2008, 11:42 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

i guess i am the black sheep here. I say go for the supercharged one. If it has all the supporting mods, thats a hell of a deal. Rebuild the supercharger and when something goes, rebuild it up the way you want to. For that price, if it needs "slighty" body work, go for it bro. The supporting mods alone are expensive as hell. maf, injectors, tb, fpr, fuel pump, all that stuff adds up really quick. Go for the supercharged one, and when something fails, build it up the way you wish. 302 blocks are really cheap, as are 351s. Or just get a rebuild kit for it and rebuild it up if it has higher milage. But as it is, even if the non s/c car only has 80k something miles, doesnt mean it hasnt been molested. Those could have been all 1st 5k rpm drives, who knows lol. Go s/c and go 5spd. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:59 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

i guess i am the black sheep here. I say go for the supercharged one. If it has all the supporting mods, thats a hell of a deal. Rebuild the supercharger and when something goes, rebuild it up the way you want to. For that price, if it needs "slighty" body work, go for it bro. The supporting mods alone are expensive as hell. maf, injectors, tb, fpr, fuel pump, all that stuff adds up really quick. Go for the supercharged one, and when something fails, build it up the way you wish. 302 blocks are really cheap, as are 351s. Or just get a rebuild kit for it and rebuild it up if it has higher milage. But as it is, even if the non s/c car only has 80k something miles, doesnt mean it hasnt been molested. Those could have been all 1st 5k rpm drives, who knows lol. Go s/c and go 5spd. Just my 2 cents.
The only problem w/ your thinking is he has no idea what or how anything has been done to that car. He could be buying/opening a can of worms. I been around enough, not to touch that can anymore!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:20 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

i agree to a certain extent but for the price its kind of hard to argue. If its built up right, the parts alone would be worth the price. It all comes down to knowing what was done and who did the work, your instinct and trust in my opinion. I am a pretty good judge of character and can tell when people are lieing generally, just a trade ive got i guess. Try and find out as much about each car as possible, take as many pics of everything you can, and post back.

Pictures are worth a thousand words as they say. There might be something that someones eyes will catch to stray you away from both, or from one.

Personally, I would go with the s/c car and hope and pray everything is fine after the s/c is changed. But then again, I am also a risk taker / gambler haha.

Quick Reply: stock mustang or supercharged mustang that needs work?