5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

SD car

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:34 PM
nitrousd85
2nd Gear Member

Default SD car

so i am a SD guy and damn proud of it
been working on this thing here and there while also attending the nmra wild street
just wonder ing what intake i should run on this thing
currently its down due to over revs and bent valves
current mods are ped. roller rockers 65mm TB CAIbbk. FRP under drives no power steering bbk long tubes as well as h pipe and 3 in. spin techs march A/C delete adj fuel reg.3 in cowl hood
200k completly stock internals never been below the heads??
always syntec blend oil ran a RAP ron anderson performance box upper and a cobra lower once and that was a joke the car couldnt handle the intake to big any way center force dual stage clutch 4 cyl trans 5 spd. short throw shifter convo pros big n little 3.55 gear lake wood upper and lowers and way too big of a mickey drag radial with the cobra and the RAP intake it went a best of 13.60 @ 99.75 with a nap time 60 ft of 2.25 i dont get it launching it on the light at 5500 pulls to the top of the struts and then ****s it self bogg... oh well bigger gear or smaller tire
oh yeah withh the huge *** intake hit third and the car just feels like yer cruisin away from a red light
Help with SD info please
thanks
Toby
Old 01-25-2008, 07:00 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SD car

hit up dimebag he is a good source for sd info
Old 01-25-2008, 07:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what do you want to know??? a good intake for a speed density caar would be a gt-40 and or an explorer intake and a mild cam designed for speed density and gt-40 or gt-40p heads would be a decent upgrade and you can still keep it SD.. have 3.73 gears at least too
Old 01-25-2008, 11:41 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ooook

1st off... 13.60s isnt bad...but yes we can make it faster lol...

now i know your asking mainly about the intake, but heres my opinion on your whole set up and how to make it faster...

well 1st off, w. ur set up gt40/cobra intake would work well

ok anyway... sounds like you have stock heads? id throw something else on it... basically what ever you want... i have some stock as a rock gt40s on my car, and i cant complain about them at all...you could even go bigger... holley, edelbrock, tfs, afr, etc...

intake, like i said for what you have gt40/cobra would be nice for it, again thats what i have... and again you can go bigger... tfs, holley... those box intakes sorta suck for n/a low rpm(as in 6k not 8k) cars... they just dont make the power... you want some kind of a long runner intake, like the stock style is and most aftermarket 5.0 intakes are

cams... ppl say you cant do it... their wrong... i have a good sized cam in my car (218/224 at .050, .512/.512) and im SD... you can(and if doing heads/intake should) throw a cam in a SD car...and well mine responded well to it... now we dont have as many options as maf cars, but therse atleast 3-4 i can think of right off the top of my head and a few more id have to look up... not to mention custom(not THAT expensive)

SD cars like nitrous... we can generally run more timing then maf cars on spray... and imo they respond well to a wet shot

things to watch modding a stock sd system... keep the rwhp under 300(i SHOULD be at ~265-270, dyno pending)... which is why i spray too... the wet shot adds its own fuel, so it doesnt effect the injectors... gotta keep the hp at that because 19lb injectors cant handle any more then that...

i would run a 26inch tire, and atleast 3.73s, if not 4.10s. that will help your short times ALOT... like .5/.6 alot...

anyway, heres my SD set up... so some proof that you can infact mod a SD car

gt40 heads
gt40 intake
comp cam
100 shot(wet)
3.73s
235/60/15 mt drag radials(26inch tire), street tires are 27 inch tires, just to fill the wheel well
stock tb
stock bottom end
~8.8-1 comp(little low)
and some little odds and ends
on spray im shooting for high 11/low 12s... well know in march...

sorry i kinda wrote alot and yea i know i kinda went off just about everything, lol my bad... but hopefully this helps you out... look here you are asking about an intake... an i think i just told you every mod we can do lol

oooyea... stock motor+6psi kenne bell is doable too
Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Very informative. You a lucky one two. A guy I used to work with has a 88 conv AOD. He had ported E7 heads and a B303 cam. It ran like crap. Lean pops if you hit it from an idle. It did idle ok, but was gutless. I ran better exhaust, ram air, 3.55's on my SD and it ran great. I too would suggest the wet NOS kit. I started with a dry kit and it cost me a head gasket (fixed under warranty), then went to a 100hp wet kit and had no more problems with the timing @ 10 BTDC. I got a killer deal on a 89 MAF set-up when a buddy totaled his 89 so I bought the whole set-up for $100. Now I can add many more mods as the wallet permits.
Mine ran 7.96 @ 86.9mph in the 1/8 mile on worn out slicks and a 1.72 60ft.time. I could have gone faster, but I didn't launch it too hard because it was all I had to drive at the time and couldn't afford to break it[sm=nxsmile.gif] I have since sold the NOS kit and hope to build a 347 soon.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:16 AM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

dimebag once again you have come through , you should start an sd section !i have taken the advice you have given to me and it is going well i am still searching for the right priced heads now (looking at used cuz my wallett getting thin due to tax season and being self employed ) but i have found most of the parts pretty reasonable .85nitousd should have no problem getting some more go with that combo.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:51 AM
nitrousd85
2nd Gear Member

dime bag i thought i should tell you that i have a set or st 40 irons and a set of power heads google em they are nasty stock e 7 fully cncd manley valves pretty sweet theywere also almonst 900 bucks bul i like a sleeper combo somethin low key
Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: lxman1

Very informative. You a lucky one two. A guy I used to work with has a 88 conv AOD. He had ported E7 heads and a B303 cam. It ran like crap. Lean pops if you hit it from an idle. It did idle ok, but was gutless. I ran better exhaust, ram air, 3.55's on my SD and it ran great. I too would suggest the wet NOS kit. I started with a dry kit and it cost me a head gasket (fixed under warranty), then went to a 100hp wet kit and had no more problems with the timing @ 10 BTDC. I got a killer deal on a 89 MAF set-up when a buddy totaled his 89 so I bought the whole set-up for $100. Now I can add many more mods as the wallet permits.
Mine ran 7.96 @ 86.9mph in the 1/8 mile on worn out slicks and a 1.72 60ft.time. I could have gone faster, but I didn't launch it too hard because it was all I had to drive at the time and couldn't afford to break it[sm=nxsmile.gif] I have since sold the NOS kit and hope to build a 347 soon.
you wanna know why it was guttless?? probably didn't have a set of gears and any supporting mods..he'd of needed at least 4.10 gears and a stall convertor to launch that slug!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:57 PM
nitrousd85
2nd Gear Member

the slugg is a 5 spd
so where should i put the converter in front of the clutch or behind it
i need a set of 4.10 s or at least 3.73 s
Old 01-26-2008, 01:34 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

MJR assumed you had an auto because you posted AOD in your last responce