5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

O.E.M. Interior Pieces

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:18 AM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: O.E.M. Interior Pieces

Cam selection will really be the limiting factor for how well the ECU likes the new setup. My best guess is you will likely have to convert to mass air due to surge/stall issues that will arise. Converting to mass air now will keep you from having to limit your cam selection to speed density friendly pcs. However that's not to say you won't need a chip burnt after the new engine goes in. Aftermarket cams and ford ECU's are not always willing to be buddy buddy at all.
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JonL_HammerDown

So i dont have to worry about SD or MAF? The Kit will come with everything i need to reuse the pistons?
yes you need to change to MAF, again check the stickes for a guide on converting, call up Allen(i think) at fordstrokers see if he'll help you out on a kit minus the pistons since you already have them
JonL_HammerDown

ORIGINAL: dman302

By the way.... .040 bore on a 302 is aprox 308 and worth well over 5-8 hp over stock...add some horrible 70's iron heads ported and polished to flow numbers almost, but not quite equal to a set of E7 stock 87-93 heads and you're likely closer too 240 fly wheel HP if you have a relatively decent aftermarket cam (i assume you do since you have 'upgrades'). I'm sorry...don't mean to bust bubbles but you're likely well over 100 HP away from 350. Considering a 125 shot will usually get you at right around 100 HP to the wheels when all is said and done...you very likely only putting down maybe 350 on the sauce. Sorry..not rude just facts. Heads/cam/intake/displacement....basically determine HP output...all the 'other' goodies unless they're boost related really don't mean a damn.

You kno for not kno all that i have and my craftsmanship on my car you really doo talk alot of s*&t
Old 01-29-2008, 12:20 AM
JonL_HammerDown

Im sorry but can you explain to me MAF and Stickes please
Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 AM
JonL_HammerDown

no hard feelings dman just defending my car but wat do you mean by mass air and surge/stall and wat will mass air do for me
Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 AM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

Cause I am fairly confident about what I'm talking about...spend some time, ask a few questions...you see I'm not that crazy afterall...or am I? As far as craftmanship..I know what you can do with a 302...I know what works....done too much of it not to know what parts do what. I was simply telling you what was what...and I'll bet you my buddy AdderM2K's car (well known member and good buddy) that you wouldn't make over 230 to the wheels on even a dynojet. But again..not personal...just correcting some of the incorrect statements you made previously.

Again...just kidding around. I hope it does make 350.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 AM
JonL_HammerDown

lol yea i kno guys just would have nothin to do if it wernt for the smack talking lol i seriously do make that much i have other mods to my bud said something about the heads and he helped me to but anyway really wat do you mean by mass air and surge/stall and wat will mass air do for me
Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

SD and MAF are what the measures the air coming into the engine and adds the correct amount of fuel, SD is picky when it comes to cams, MAF allows more radical types of mods, while still being able to handle them to a degree

with certain mods the engine will surge at idle and sometimes stall for no good reason, this is when a custom tuned chip comes in handy(usually people get chips when they go to tune the engine after major mods)
Old 01-29-2008, 12:45 AM
JonL_HammerDown

Well right now mainly when its cold but almost everytime i start itmy engine will idle 1000 but surge to 1500 and go down to 600 or 700 but not stall is that the SD and how do i go about getting MAF and installing it also a chip? How can i tune this? And wat do you mean by a degree how much will it handle?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

when you start it it SHOULD idle abit high, then go down to 600-700, and should stay there, if it keeps going between 600-1200 constently at idle thats surging

read this, has good guides plus on how to convert to MAF

https://mustangforums.com/m_2141191/tm.htm

untill you get some major mods, dont worry about the chip/tune

Quick Reply: O.E.M. Interior Pieces