5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

If They Were (Design Flaws)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: If They Were (Design Flaws)

ORIGINAL: Maxwelhse

ORIGINAL: raven_ghostwolf
There where 2 other mid-engine American cars powered by Ford the Pantera and the Bricklin. Both where powered by 351C's if memory serves me correctly.
Bricklin was also AMC 360 powered...
Interesting never knew about the AMC connection. The 2 I had the privilege to see first hand both where Ford powered... Learn something new everyday !
Old 02-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

hmm, I dunno if it was said already, but the dinky lil 75 amp alt and tiny brakes need to go....

I need to do a 3g swap...

I drove 10 miles with my highbeams without so much as a flash from someone coming in the opposite direction...
Old 02-05-2008, 12:22 AM
mighty90
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 83gtragtop

ORIGINAL: mighty90

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here. I've been thinking about this alot recently. Remove the back seat and slide the cab forward (no need for it anyway). Take the engine out and put it into the back. Making the fox a mid-engine rear wheel drive. Then improve aerodynamics slightly.
That f*ucking stupid, not even a mustang then. What makes a mustang a mustang is;

-V8(in most cases)
-2 doors
-front engine
-rear drive
-The ability to use as a DD ie. 4 seats
-american
-***** for cheap!

5-lugs, better brakes, improved chassis rigidity and floorpan strength.

A mustang is whatever carford slaps a dam mustang logo onto. There is no formula for making it. Hell, take a long look at the ford probe; because guess what badge they were gonna slap on that. Yep, an emblem of a fukin pony with mustang written on the back. Chances are: they might do it again.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 83gtragtop

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here. I've been thinking about this alot recently. Remove the back seat and slide the cab forward (no need for it anyway). Take the engine out and put it into the back. Making the fox a mid-engine rear wheel drive. Then improve aerodynamics slightly.
That f*ucking stupid, not even a mustang then. What makes a mustang a mustang is;

-V8(in most cases)
-2 doors
-front engine
-rear drive
-The ability to use as a DD ie. 4 seats
-american
-***** for cheap!

5-lugs, better brakes, improved chassis rigidity and floorpan strength.

A mustang is whatever carford slaps a dam mustang logo onto. There is no formula for making it. Hell, take a long look at the ford probe; because guess what badge they were gonna slap on that. Yep, an emblem of a fukin pony with mustang written on the back. Chances are: they might do it again.
Yes but thankfully all the Mustang fans freaked on them when rumor came out that they were going to do that. The reason that the Mustang has lasted this long is because its stuck to the basic formula mentioned above. Lots of power, conveniance in a cheap package. If Ford did the things you mentioned above then all the TRUE Mustang fans would freak. Maybe I've become old fashion in my old age(23) but I think you don't change something thats been this successful. I've grown up around some of the coolest Mustang's known to man so maybe thats why I keep such a conservative out look on it. I have no problem with Ford making a deuce seated mid engined sports car but I'll be damned if they try to call it a Mustang.

Ow also, to the guy who wants to put a 5.4 in a 5.0. No thanks to OHC's and 200 extra pounds sitting over the front end. Push rod till I'm dead.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
shawnk007
2nd Gear Member

That "62 Mustang" was actually designed by AMC. After the plans for it got scrapped, Ford took it and came out with the Mustang a couple years later.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:43 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

+1 to the t-56 mentioned, i wish i had a sixth gear with a little more of an overdrive to it for cruising,
and idk, a dohc engine might have not been to bad, there boost friendly and more economical on power, then again, nothing sounds better then a push rod engine....

cup holders would have save my interior

i think the back side windows on the hatch should be able to open like a vent...but thats just me

there should have been atleast a 5.8w option since the swaps so easy...

and id love to see a midengine low price muscle car...but that'll never happen, there all jap cars or million dollar itallion ponies....