5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Shortblock discussion...

Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 PM
jman511115
2nd Gear Member

Default Shortblock discussion...

Ok, I've got the option of either buying a completely new shortblock, or building a new one. If I were to build one, I'd be using a USED forged crank, rods, and pistons. My primary concern with this build is strength, I want to get 700-800 to the wheels from a turbo. It will stay a 5.0.

Please discuss, give me your opinions. Would it be better to buy a brand new shortblock with all forged block/internals? Or should I just tear the engine apart, buy a new block, and put all the forged stuff from the old engine into the new one. Obviously it would have to be machined and assembled by a shop, but are there any disadvantages to going this route? The crank/rods/pistons have about 3000 miles on them. Remember, cost is not the primary concern here, strength/reliability is. 800 horsepower is what I'm shooting for right now, who knows what the future holds. The car is currently putting down about 420 on a mild tune and 7 psi, plenty more where that came from.

Edit: If you know of any reputable manufacturers of shortblocks, I'd appreciate it if you'd post those up too.

And option 3: Buy a block, crank, pistons, rods separately and have them assembled. This way I get to pick and choose what goes in. Again, any recommendations for good parts would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:56 PM
jman511115
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Shortblock discussion...

Wow, I feel like a noob. Double post.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well for one 800 reliable hp .......I hope the stock block is not even being considered for such a build.. cause throwing a crank in that is stronger than the block is a waste..and your block choices for such a build should include a boss block or a dart block cause at 800 hp a stock block will most likely split from the iderside of the mains up to the lifter valley
Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i vote option 3.

do some research.

and what are u going to rev it to?

it would be easy to do option 2 also, but i would get new pistons and get the block bored to the piston., you can get the crank ground if need be and run a .010 over bearing, and the rods as long as their ok can be cleaned up and reused
Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

if u go boss block, realize it needs ALOT of machine work right away... its sold as an unfinnished block

what about 351?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
jman511115
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

well for one 800 reliable hp .......I hope the stock block is not even being considered for such a build.. cause throwing a crank in that is stronger than the block is a waste..and your block choices for such a build should include a boss block or a dart block cause at 800 hp a stock block will most likely split from the iderside of the mains up to the lifter valley
Hell no, that's why I'm replacing it, because the stock block is what's init currently. I was considering a Dart block if I do go with a rebuild instead of a brand new assembled shortblock.

ORIGINAL: dimebag

i vote option 3.

do some research.

and what are u going to rev it to?

it would be easy to do option 2 also, but i would get new pistons and get the block bored to the piston., you can get the crank ground if need be and run a .010 over bearing, and the rods as long as their ok can be cleaned up and reused
I've searched a couple of times on here, but the search function sucks. And I've also searched for manufacturers, but they all claim that their stuff is the best. I wanted to get an opinion from people that actually have experience, rather than the people being paid to write the best sales pitch. I LOVE high revving engines, but for safety I'm thinking 7k or less. So you say option 2 with say .030 over pistons, and machine the crank, or just option 3.Like I said, the stuff inside right now is relatively new. I don't know how much they've been beat on though.

ORIGINAL: dimebag

if u go boss block, realize it needs ALOT of machine work right away... its sold as an unfinnished block

what about 351?
I'm thinking about a Dart block. The reason I didn't want to go 351 was because I don't know much about the process involved with switching it over, or what parts I have currently will fit. Is it as easy as swapping the shortblock and calling it a day? School me.

Edit: Looks like for the 351 I'll have to at least swap the lower intake and fuel rails... so that's out.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:09 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Nothing wrong with reusing crank/rods if they're in good condition.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:40 PM
jman511115
2nd Gear Member

Ok, cool. How bout the pistons, is there any condition that would exist after 3000 miles that might make me want to go with new ones?
Old 02-08-2008, 02:13 AM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Making 800 is pretty serious. If it were me and price was no object I would start over fresh with everything new and sell what's in the car now. World products also makes a good block. Why stick with 302-306 cubic inch? If you are going to get an aftermarket block go for the gusto and make it a big bore 347 (4.125 bore 3.25 stroke) or a 363 (4.125 bore 3.40 stroke). Dart or World both sell short deck blocks (you can use your intake and headers you already have)with a 4.125 bore to help ease the 800rwhp making process. I don't know what's in the current engine but I would invest in some really good pistons (Ross, Wiseco, JE, Venolia, etc.), crank (Sonny Bryant, Carrilo, etc.)and rods (Oliver, Carrilo, Callies, etc.). I know people on here don't like them, but how many of them have bought their stuff, but contact DSS, CHP, Kieth Craft, etc and ask about what you are trying to do. What heads and camshaft are you using now? Leaving it a 302-306, you are going to have to put a bunch of boost and rpm on that thing to make thatkind of power.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:44 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Dart ftmfw

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shortblock discussion...