5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

what things have gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: what things have gone wrong?

wtf ??? is this the 5.0 diary page??? anyway.. everything has gone wrong !!!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

need door pins
and my guage lights and horn don't work,and my air bag light is flashing.....inter-related??? I think so. However, they didn't all go out at the sametime. So I dunno; hence why it hasn't been fixed...or even looked at.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

I bought mine w/ 32K on it in 94. Currently has 160K on it. A LOT of mods later, other than regular maintenence I have had almost ZERO issues w/ my car. It's been a beast!!!
yeah I had a lot less issues when my motor was based off a stock build.....should just added boost like you!!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:30 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

mine is an 87 gt w/157k on it , had to replace the rad and fan ,dog ear broke off the starter ,replaced the driver quater, pass door and fender,windsheild wiper motor is out cruise is out , horn is out ,driver window is out of adjust , i have tried to adjust just wont dram in like it should , gas gage doesn't read right (reads full all the time until it runs out of gas then reads half).
other than those little things no mechanical issues at all .
Old 02-08-2008, 11:40 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

sorry for the long post i'll sum it up shortly. things that went that weren't modifications.

tune up - 48k
brake pads - 48k
clutch 50k[an upgrade, but i started to burn it out once i bought the clutch, but hadn't put it in yet]
50k - both inner, and outter tie rod ends
somewhere in the 50s the trans mount broke, but i didn't replace it until i dropped in a new motor.
62k - tires all around. 4 radials.
62k - exhaust[upgrade, but the mufflers were pretty much gone, or close enough]
68k serpentine belt/hoses.
71k - radiator
73k - fuel pump//fuel pump relay
somewhere in the 70s after the fuel pump the motor mount finally broke
83k - cut a sidewall on one of the radials
86k - motor
89k - brake shoes
95k - brake pads
96k - starter solenoid

thats it all broken down. 122k+ now. i usually don't worry about when things are gonna go up, but now i'm curious. not worried cause i know with the haynes manual, and tools i can do it myself, but just wondering whats next. i feel something has gotta go really soon. i'm betting either the alternator or ignition modual. i hope it's the alternator though cause at least i got an idiot light for it. those ignition mods go out with no warning, and will leave you on the side of the road. i plan to do the shocks, and struts soon here they're getting a little stiff, and have seen their day. i'm sure i'll need3 radials soon too.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Driver's side power seat motor is going out on mine. I also have a air bag light on for some reason. Other than that, car has been pretty good.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:44 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

yeah i forgot to mention every power window switch went slowly one by one. the passenger window would only go down if i pressed the button for it on the drivers side, and pulled on it, or had someone pull it down. i finally replaced them all in the summer of 2006 when the last one that worked finally croaked.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:51 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

I think a year ago someone made one but

Forgot to put the lifter holder thing back in that goes in the valley so I spun a lifter and it made a flat spot on my cam[:@]

Thermostat went south

Burnt spark plug wire on header

Fillerneck had to be replaced

Then the basics brakes cap rotor etc.

Still have a ticking noise in my valve train but I've torn the head off got it checked out twice by different people, replaced my lifters, put a new cam in and its still makes a tick[&:]and no its not an exhaust leak. I brought it to my work and had 5 mechanics looking at it and they cant figure it out either lmao.I dont care any more though cause I dont have any problems and my car runs perfect.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 AM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

haha that tick sucks, but at least you got no problems. i also am planning on doing a tune up pretty soon. the new motor has 36k on it now in 10 months too! i really wanna try to get this car to rollover again in two years from now, so i got less than 80k to go! it's not even the only vehicle i use. my 03 mach 1 is out of commission now with a cracked block, but i should have that rebuilt by mid spring. i would love to have this thing to 230k by the time i hit 40 which is 3 years, and 1 month from now. i'm gonna try! i'm still dreading that ignition modual though[:@]the water pumps, and the alternators, and ps pumps, and fuel pumps[mine being an exception], and starters are great in these cars. they fail at exceptionally high mileage if at all. thats not uncommon for a car built in modern time, but 15/20 years ago thats great.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:12 AM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

i also forgot to mention some bulbs, but that stuff going out is so little it's ridiculous.

Quick Reply: what things have gone wrong?