5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

what things have gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

Default what things have gone wrong?

i don't think there have been any threads on this that i have found. just curious as to what has gone wrong on your 5.0, and what mileage. post your year, current mileage, and what you have replaced, and preferrably what mileage it was roughlyreplaced at the best you can remember. mine is a 93 5.0 lx. has a list of modifications, but have never had a problem with those. i bought the car on august 11th 2000 with about 40 miles less than 28k on it. at first i was sekptical, and figured maybe 127k cause it doesn't have the 100k odometer, just the rollback at 100k to 0 odometer. got a carfax, and found everything out. only 27k. i did a lot of modifications from that time up until about 62k. heads, turbo, exhaust, throttle body, injectors, gears, forged internals,maf, clutch, plugs, wires, rear trailing arms,broke a tie rod at 50k miles. replaced both inner, and outter. replaced the clutch at 50k to upgrade, and i gave it it's first tune up at 48k, andbrake pads at 48k.upgraded the exhaust at 62k catless. new serpentine belt, and hoses around 68k. radiator at 71k. after the goodyear service center where the previous owner lied on the carfax by claiming they replaced the radiator, and the whole front end suspension as well at 24k after the car was hit they really just patched it up. the patch blew out about a mile from home luckily one night, and i made it home with the radiator ran almost completely dry. it sat from april of 2004 until september 2005 after that.at 73k the fuel pump, and the fuel pump relay left me on the side of the road. the relay got wet on a rainy morning, and went, and shorted out the whole circuit, and fried the fuel pump. the motor had a bad valve cover gasket leak, and i was adding a quart of oil about every 200k miles. this happened in the span of 1k miles. the motor leaked all the oil, and seized it at 86k. no rear end main seal leak, no oil pan gasket leak, or intake, it was all don by a bad valve cover gasket. replaced the motor with a rebuilt, and me, and a buddy rebuilt all the mod parts ourselves. brake shoes at 89k, and another set of pads at 95k. i used ceramic thistime for more longetivity.starter solenoid at 96k, and now it's at 122467. it's incredible because at as high as it is now this is the longest i've went since i owned it without replacing anything other than fluids. the motor seized february of last year at 86k, and i've put almost 40k on the car since then. it actually went to 100k around september 20th, and i was commuting for work for a while 76 miles one way. it also went to all the way across the country to california, and down to florida since then. i'm not trying to jinx myself, but what i'm really waiting to go is the ignition modual. that seems to be a common problem on these cars. it still has the original alternator, original water pump, power steering pump, ball joints, all ball joints, and control arms in the front, and original shocks, and struts! the shocks, and strutsare getting a bit stiff, and with the horsepower increase don't handle as well. they aren't completely gone, but they are fairly worn out, and in the next few months i plan on replacing them withsome racing ones, and coil springs as well. i may just use regular blisteins. sorry for the long posts, but longer the better in this thread. i wanna hear everyone else on this one.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: what things have gone wrong?

too much to read but i've had many problems, nothing is broke but a lot to replace of old shyte. my rad broke at 300k, alt went out 300k, tranny is going slowly 300k....she just needs some love is all. i've already replaced a lot of stuff and rebuilt the engine, it now only has about 2k miles on it.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:19 PM
flyinghigh2k8
2nd Gear Member

hmmmm odometer quit at 107k just like every other mustangout there. Other than that not much that hasn't been mine own fault.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

yea too much to read for me too...

my ashtray spring broke 2 weeks ago, the speedometer needle bounces, and my door handle broke
Old 02-08-2008, 04:03 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i need new door pins and adjustment to my striker. i need new weather stripping, rebuilt tranny, new upr/lowr control arms, all new bushing(they're all trashed) new shocks n springs, new sheet metal on the shock towers and quarter panels, i need new fuel lines(corrosion) i need a new fpr(i think please see my post to help me out). needs new PS rack. pinion(going manual) needs new rear license plate lights and grommets to hold them in place. other than that shes alright....[:@]
Old 02-08-2008, 05:45 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

speedo needle, door handles, thats about it
Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the too much reading lol, my speedo bounces, typical broken ash tray, striped power lock on the pass side and now when i went out the other night to start my car up the power windows stoped working it should be fun trying to figure that one out
Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

It's not that much to read, but the fact that it's not broken up into paragraphs and doesn't have much punctuation makes it very difficult [&:].

Mine is perfect, except the windshield washer pump is broken and I haven't felt like fixing it yet. Just turned over 29,900 today [8D].
Old 02-08-2008, 07:41 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Alright lets see what kind of a list I can make(I haven't fully checked the car over)
-speedo way off and bounces
-temp guage not working at all
-oil pressure gauge has a problem I think(I hope anyways)
-could use door pins
-need pass. side weather stripping
-needs a floor(current will work till either I sell it or spend the cash to do it)
-Theres a leak coming from behind my dash, I think its the cowl
-The engine runs good but has a slight miss
-Needs new tailpipes
-Needs front struts
-might need some springs
-Need to replace coolant/oil sensors to see if guages fix
-The steering column crapped out
-The horn stays on when you have the pad plugged in
-the auto locks dont work
-burnt out dash lights
-ash tray door
-leak in tailshaft
-leak in the rear main and or oil pan and or valve cover(s)
-Power steering leak
-rust on the quarters that needs to be fixed
-and could use a paint job

What I've done in the few months I owned it before I stored it:
-Drivers side weatherstripping
-patched the floor
-fibreglassed cowl to attempt to stop leak

Wow, this list is sure depressing when this is a car I bought because I thought it was in good shape. Never again will I buy something without taking it to a garage.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I bought mine w/ 32K on it in 94. Currently has 160K on it. A LOT of mods later, other than regular maintenence I have had almost ZERO issues w/ my car. It's been a beast!!!

Quick Reply: what things have gone wrong?