5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

how hard is changing the speedo cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:35 PM
notchbackmatt87
3rd Gear Member

Default how hard is changing the speedo cable

my car needs one. what dose installing this require is it any hard? time wise how much am i looking at i got the part i just hope i dont got to open up the dash and take it off the cluster [:@]
Old 02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how hard is changing the speedo cable

pretty simple, the bottom goes into the tranny and has 1 I think 11mm bolt, you take a metal clip out and swap the speedo gear. The top goes into the back of the speedo. Remove the cluster and pull it out, it can be a pain and try to wiggle it. You will probably have to remove the wire connectors from the back to have enough room. Make sure you tie it down good so it doesn't burn against the header
Old 02-08-2008, 05:25 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

I have done it and maybe this will help: first safely put the car on jack stands then find where the cable goes into the transmission remove the bolt that retains the cable to the transmission and wiggle the cable till it comes out. For now just leave the plastic gear on the cable the cable housing has a couple of retainers one near the transmission end I think mine was on the frame of the cross member then another on the fire wall or the fender if you buy the cable and the cable housing together it should have a new rubber gromet for the fire wall if you bought just the cable you remove the retainer that holds the plastic gear on the end and set it aside for the moment" don't let dirt and grit get on your cable and into the cable housing so wipe the end off good and lay it as straight as you can out in the encompartment then comes the hard part working under the dash you have to get your hand up behind the speedometer and feel for the plastic detent retainer just at the end of the cable you have squeeze on the back of the detent and carfully pull it away from the speedometer. If you know any four letter words you may notice how that sweet mustang has turned into a whipping post for them at this time. You will probly scratch and cut your hands up just getting to the back of the odometer and most cables unless you have really looked at how the detent works to release its hold on the speedometer will give you a fit but don't give up you can do it but if you get to mad just walk away for a bit and come back to it its not worth the damage you may do to the mustang. anyway getting back to work once you get the cable loose from the speedometer pull the cable housing down just below the dash and slip the old cable out and the new cable in or pull the old housing and cable all out if you got a new one but you may want to pull the new cable houseing through the fire wall by tapeing it to the tail end of the old one and get someone to help feed it thru as you carfully pull it into the car and hook the new cable Into the back of the speedometer. It will push on very easy but be sure it is all the way on. Once you get to this point put your O ring seal on and your old gear and gear retainer rout your cable back the way it came to transmission if it don't slip in with a bit of a wiggle turn you gear a little and try again. put all retainers back in place and get the car on the ground for a test drive if by chance the speedometer don't work check to ensure you are fully plugged in at the back of the speedometer there may be a little jumpyness to the speedometer at first but as the cable lube gets spread out it will be ok.[align=left] [/align]
Old 02-08-2008, 05:31 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

its a half an hour job, 1 clip on the bel housing rear of tranny.

Remove Instrument Cluster, Detach Cable Form cluster, Open hood, Remove the Small Bolt holding the cable to firewall.

Install New Cable.

The most popular failures are burning on the exhaust header, driver side, or Breaking of the tip at the tranny due to non lubrication of the cable.

Once a year, remove it from the tranny, hit it with some white lithium grease, hair grease, whatever you got.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

its pretty straight forward, when I did mine, I didnt even know what I was doing and I got it done in no time
Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

easy!! remove cluster...release the cable from the back by squeezing the white lock...and the rest from there is simple.. what the others said!!