5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Speed shifting ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 04:48 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Speed shifting ?

Nice explanation bike. The only stock tranny where it is fine to shift using rpm points is in a tractor trailer, I drove them for years and never used clutch unless starting off. On the tractors if your not at the right rpm it wont let you shift into gear even with using clutch. I would not be power shifting, it's just not worth it, too many expensive things to screw up. Have i done it, yea but not often, but i also have a TKO 600.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:34 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steve355

Can anyone tell me what speed shifting is?I have a srtock T5 and some people tell me you can shift it with out the clutch? I do not want to try this because it makes no sense. Why would all stick shift cars have a clutch if it is not needed ? I am going to the track this summer and I want to make some good passes.
what you are talking about here is how truck drivers drive. you can shift without using the clutch but it wont be a fast motion and its rather slow. It's not recommended in high RPMs, but what you do is put pressure on the shifter towards the gear your are going to shift into and then slowly release on the gas, it will pop out of gear, then you put light pressure on the shifter into the gear you want it to go into, not to much or it will grind but when the RPM or syncro line up or whatever it is that cause it to happen, the shifter will slide right into gear. This method of shifting is common practice for truck drivers b/c it becomes tiresome to constantly push the clutch pedal. It probably extended the life of the clutch but probably not so much the syncros or something in the trans. I do it once in while when feeling lazy. Im pretty good at it and can even down shift now.

Power shifting it really just shifting with out ever taking your foot of the gas pedal, no real skill involved since it is just regular shifting minus one step. but this type of shifting really eats the clutch and if you dont find the gear you will redline the engine
Old 02-13-2008, 06:50 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

i ahev done rev shifting on a bike but not in a car , speed shifting i do it alot . but to shift a car into gear with out a clutch sounds like a recipe for disater to me .
Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

bikeboy587 is right on themoney.

Read what he posted because he is correct.

I can do both with my car. I can shift without using the clutch (you better know what you're doing and how a tranny works before even attempting this) and shift without lifting the gas pedal. (the only way Ishift at the track)

Old 02-14-2008, 01:29 AM
90LX2.3
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangbanger87

i ahev done rev shifting on a bike but not in a car , speed shifting i do it alot . but to shift a car into gear with out a clutch sounds like a recipe for disater to me .
when im riding a bike i rarely ever use a clutch to shift (with the exception of starting off). Just wind it up and slam it into the next gear, they have strong trannies