5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Today driving on a slick street...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Today driving on a slick street...

the only time I have ever "lost control" of a car, was when some douchebag cut me off on RT295(3x3 highway) on my way to work. I was driving my mothers stratus in to get it aligned. The dude slides into my lane, not in front of me, but right where i was. So I swerved to the left to avoid him, and the car got loose, so I tried to bring it back like i would in my fiero/rx7/mustang.. and it came back, but kept going... I tried to correct it bring it back to the left, and the car went right around (mind you in doing 65 mph). I pulled a complete 180, was able to knock the car into neutral before it went all the way around. I kept the car in the lane, turned in my seat and backed off the highway (doing 60-65 backwards, in N).

when I finally got the car stopped, I had to check my pants!

popped the car back in drive, waited for a break in traffic, and got right back on the highway!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

I'm living in FL now so no more snow, but I got plenty of that when I was living in NJ. The stang is fine in the rain if you aren't a moron, but has never been driven in snow.

My truck is actually more dangerous I think, seeing as it has almost as much torque, somewhat less ideal weight distribution, and cheap tires. The only thing going for it would be an open diff seeing aslosing traction (happens often no matter how careful I am - front-heavy FTL [:'(]) would result in only one wheel spinning rather than the whole back end being loose. Lots of fun driving that in the winter, though .

I have had a couple minor mishaps in rain, but luckily I got those out of the way when I was still in HS and only had my truck. I also did a 180 coming out of a jughandle in the rain in my parents' Tahoe oncebecause I wasn't used to driving a vehicle with almost double my truck's hp at the time.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Don't blame the torque or the rear drive. Bottom line here is poor choice of tire for the conditions.

I drive my Mustang daily in Southern Ontario. Have 2 sets of tires. 45 series 17's for summer and 205 70 15 Nordic winter/ice tires.

Ground clearance is sometimes an issue but you actually have to get pretty aggressive with the throttle to instigate a slide.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:45 PM
CBurn
2nd Gear Member

my 5.0 is my only car, so i drive it everywhere, snow, rain, sleet.
ive spun out a decent amount of times, i guess you just gatta be REALLY careful.
Its good practice tho, you start to really get a feel for it under bad conditions.
After driving a 5.0 in the snow, everything else seems easy!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 PM
nitrousd85
2nd Gear Member

well yeah the v sick puts down whatlike 168 horse
rain + rear wheel drive + horsepower + 5 speed = oh *** i have to fix it
lol
be carefull dont wreck *** off in a empty lot for practice (away from the cops)
Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

inexperienced drivers shouldnt have sports cars... end of story.

I've never had any problems with my stang in rain OR snow
Before I started driving my car my father made sure I understood how easy it was to lose these cars in the rain. Didn't believe him and went to an open parking lot and goosed the throttle just a bit and the *** end came around 360 degrees. Needless to say seven years later and I have not even had a close call in the rain, though I rarely drive it in the rain. You have to respect how light the back end is on these cars.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:24 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Yeah, its my DD, and i have to drive it, sun or light rain, lucky me thats all socal gets

and of course, the 1500 shift applies, but every time its rained this year, ive grabbed 2nd and given it a lil too much gas and fishtailed... most recent was the most fun, was trying to stay in front of some people, and it started sliding during the shift, and i went from 30* against the road, to the OTHER 30* against the road, it was fun... luckily it was two lanes, and there was noone there, i was a lane hog, i bet i scared the people comin up on me tho
Old 02-22-2008, 12:43 AM
officer4c13
1st Gear Member

i drive my 85 GT in snow, ice, rain and i have never had any problems but i have a lot of driving time, used to drive all over this country.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:44 AM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

rain/ snow/ bad weather = 5.0 stays in garage= not rocket sience
neither is spelling 2 syllable words
Old 02-22-2008, 12:08 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

inexperienced drivers shouldnt have sports cars... end of story.

I've never had any problems with my stang in rain OR snow
+1. Rain or snow i drive my stang. You just gotta know what your doing. Matter of a fact its snowing now and i gotta go to work at 5.

Quick Reply: Today driving on a slick street...